Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Consequences of replacing heavy alluminum Prop with lite weight wooden prop?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Getting back to your original question, you need to understand that prop pitch is usually measured at a certain percentage of the blade length and the pitch (blade angle)changes continually through it's length. If your aluminum prop was shortened then the original blade angle at a percentage of blade length is no longer accurate. Some prop makers measure pitch on the rear face of the blade and some use the cord line of the blade airfoil. different prop makers may use different blade airfoils so this is another area for pitch measurement to differ for the same affective pitch.
    Ed Sterba built me a couple of props over 30 years ago when I was flying a Sonerai and as good as he was then he can only be better now. Personally, I would consider asking anyone else for advice concerning a Sterba prop a waste of time. I don't mean any disrespect toward the posters here, but no one knows props on Sonerais' any better than Ed.
    I would agree that the clipped metal prop is a wall hanger.
    The change will have an affect on your weight and balance so adjust accordingly.
    Neil

As I stated before this post is not about the Sterba prop but about what the reduction in weight will have on the engine.

As for W/B I post this will be done and ballast add or removed as needed.

This old prop was sent to a prop shop. They cut and repitched this prop. They put the length on the hub but not the pitch. They also put on this hub this prop has been reconditioned.

Name:  prop off sonerai 002.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  91.3 KB
    Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 03-23-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Suppose I should have read your post a bit more thoroughly. One thing you will notice is that you will have much less flywheel effect since the wood prop is much lighter. The engine may not idle as slowly and you may notice that hand propping requires a bit more effort. The gyroscopic loads on the crankshaft will be lower and you may even notice that you need less rudder input on take off with the lighter prop. Generally speaking the wood prop is easier on the engine, particularly the propeller flange and front main bearing, but since the lighter weight allows the engine to respond to the throttle quicker is is wise to advance and retard the throttle a bit slower than one might with a metal prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Suppose I should have read your post a bit more thoroughly. One thing you will notice is that you will have much less flywheel effect since the wood prop is much lighter. The engine may not idle as slowly and you may notice that hand propping requires a bit more effort. The gyroscopic loads on the crankshaft will be lower and you may even notice that you need less rudder input on take off with the lighter prop. Generally speaking the wood prop is easier on the engine, particularly the propeller flange and front main bearing, but since the lighter weight allows the engine to respond to the throttle quicker is is wise to advance and retard the throttle a bit slower than one might with a metal prop.
    I like this, thanks Neil. I was wondering about the hand propping part. If I do not keep this airplane it will be because of this. I hope its not a issue but we will see.

Tony

Shucks Tony, your A65 was "born" with a wood prop three quarters of a century ago. No problem.

Bob