Thread: Any "Hillbillys" out there??

Any "Hillbillys" out there??

I was wondering if there were anyone out there, in the Southern West Virginia area who flies ultralights?
    Haven't seen any local EAA chpters close...

Quote Originally Posted by ktbearpaws View Post
    I was wondering if there were anyone out there, in the Southern West Virginia area who flies ultralights?
    Haven't seen any local EAA chpters close...
    Nope.
    No one.
    Any "Virginia Hillbilly" that want to fly has to compete against Your last Hillbilly-of-note...

You are so screwed...

Chris
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-02-2012 at 03:25 PM.

We prefer the term "Appalachian American".

There is an EAA chapter in Fairmont WV, but from what I can tell from a couple meetings i attended, the meeting regulars are less into the building/experimental/ultralight aspect and more into the Young Eagles and hangar flying.

Nothing wrong with that at all! Just not the type of chapter i was looking for.

I was looking for more ultralight resources in WV. there is somewhere south of elkins that does something, but i haven't had a chance to get down there. Nothing up in the morgantown area that i've been able to find.

Check out Leon field. Logan County Airport has a few powered parachutes.
    Roger Mullins
    CFI-AGI
    Charleston, WV

Your best bet would be Leon Field (W07). There are usually 15-25 ultralights based there. However, winter activity is usually low.

We'll be having our monthly meeting next Tuesday evening at Robert Newlon Airfield [I41], just outside Huntington. Where in "South WV" are you?

Oops, since you asked specifically about ultralights, we are not an ultralight-only group. Some have ultralights, some amateur built, some of us fly factory machines. Some are building, some have built, a couple work in the aircraft-building industry. Some metal, some composite, some fabric-covered building & flying. All in all, a good mixture of what's available.
    Last edited by Hank; 01-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    — Hank
    1970 M20-C