Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight Engine Options

the polini is a cart engine . there a lot of different cart engines .
    here is the one i am looking aat now xf 40 rotary [wankel type] 294 cc 31 hp weighs 25 kg with the radiator ,w/o the redrive.
    i am wondering about the fuel usage .
    i do know they make a little nicer sound than the traditional single piston
    http://www.woelfle-engineering.com/P...ngines_en.html
    optimized for endurance use. The engine has high-temperature ball and roller bearings to further improve its excellent emergency running properties, additional vents allow almost unidirectional mounting, and the autoventilated V-belt pulley keeps the drive belt cool.

bump

ultralight engines

If I were tackling a new ultralight design in 2014, I'd base it on one of the proven 25-30 hp paramotor engine packages and do absolutely nothing to it, just bolt it on a pusher design and go. The Cors-Air (JPX Italia) Black Devel M25Y is one and there are others.

Sandlin Bloop 2

Italian Zigolo Ultralight
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Zigolo costs as much as Aerolite 103, which is much better. Zigolo is basically a motirized GOAT.

The XR-50 rotary engines have been tried for our planes by Phantom - http://www.phantomaero.com/ Owner had a whole blog on the conversion and trials. Testing memory - he had issues with the main bearing loading to the redrive. These are cart engine - tightly tuned and a completely different loading curve to aircraft.
    New configuration with derated power and more/better bearings might be worth a look. Just because Rotax has reduced their product line doesn't mean the segment of aviation use doesn't have options.
    J
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 10-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.

i am attracted to the wankel type engine because of the reduced vibration and the +exhaust note+

contraindications would be the high initial cost and the high rate of fuel burn. the 5 gal limitation on a Part 103 compliant thus endurance.
    perhaps a goal of an N number and a Sport Cert is in my future , that would allow more fuel AND a full cockpit enclosure.
    [humm , Can i get an N number with un certified engine ? }
    listen to this exhaust : not like the scream of the Hirth F33 which is the other COTS engine on my A list

Last edited by mrbarry; 10-06-2014 at 06:19 AM.

i am a little bummed out , LSA regs part [ please supply] specify a speed [120 knts]at maximum continuous power , ul [part 103 ] specify full power and 55 knts, i think i , as an old rule reader will squint real hard and interpret full power as max cont pwr ..

WOT [wide open throttle ] on these engines im looking at is 6000K rpm , max continuous is abt 75% or 4500 rpm . .. makes a difference do not you know , i doubt i would go to WOT on take off thrust [OTHERS WOULD]
    for consistency in rule making the power settings should be the same through out the classes

i think i should be able to operate at Vno [normal operating] [75% pwr] specified as 58 mph on my selected airframe VICE WOT & 55knts [wazzit 63 mph?]
    then again i ran the numbers on AC 103-7 appx 1 with the 28 hp hirth and a full faired enclosed cockpit and was good. , have not run the numbers with the XF40 31 HP max. . highly unlikely i can fabricate up a fully faired enclosed cockpit and meet the 254 lb empty weight [dry] AS REQUIRED BY PART 103

i think part 103 should allow for full faired ENCLOSED cockpits , all i really want is a high lift low drag motor glider good wing. , 55 knts at max cont pwr, 5 gal fuel [ ok ok ]
    something with a l/d of.. 28+ .. Vne up to eh 150 knts ., . like the clip i posted on another string , catch some lift up to 18K .. [be sure and take your OXY bottle]
    Last edited by mrbarry; 10-10-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbarry View Post
    i think part 103 should allow for full faired ENCLOSED cockpits ,
    Is there anything specifically prohibiting an enclosed cockpit on a part 103 ultralight?

I've seen a skypup with an enclosed cockpit which still had #30 unused lbs for meeting part 103 requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Is there anything specifically prohibiting an enclosed cockpit on a part 103 ultralight?
    no , its just the weight limits, by the time one builds a good strong wing , has an adequate crash cage and hangs on 5--60+ lbs of engine there is not a lot of weight left for faring..
    skypup is cute https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Skypup-club/info

here is an example for the well heeled ,

http://windward-performance.com/spar...pecifications/

+5 /-4 , l/d 37/1 Vne 123 knts ,Empty Weight – 155 lbs

i have seen motor glider tests with this airframe & a Hirth F33 [45 lbs w redrive & electric start]
    it is all kevlar and carbon fiber.. fixed engine pylon .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mrbarry; 10-11-2014 at 08:01 AM.