Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultralight Engine Options

Ultralight Engine Options

I would have posted this in the Homebuilt Forum, but I figured that since I am asking about an Ultralight engine, I should post here.

I have a set of Affordaplane plans. The plans show a Rotax 477 engine mount, but I understand that Rotax (along with everyone else) has gotten out of the 2-stroke Ultralight (UL) engine business. A 1/2 VW is a possibility, but I'm not sold on it.

What is current "state of the art" in UL engines? What do UL manufacturers currently use on their new products, and what do UL builders put on the airframe of their ULs?

Is there still a 60-ish pound, 40-ish (or better) HP engine out there in the new market? I'm not opposed to used. I just want manufacturer support for my engine, if I need it.

Thanks in advance.

John

As this thread, ultralights in America are dead. There are a few building them, legal eagle and belite but that's about it. Even a quicksilver with a 447 is over the 254 lbs limit. But it does look like an ultralight so no one says anything.
    You will find trying to meet the par 103 regs in the USA is going to be tough using anything but a single cylinder engine. Ultralight engines are as dead as the ultralight, in the USA with our regs the way they are.

Tony

Tony - Thanks for replying.

Part 103 is not that important to me. I hold a Private Pilot license, so I can simply register as an Experimental/Amateur Built, give it an N-number, and be on my way.

The issue, of course, being the engine. Your smallest homebuilt engine is probably too big for the Aplane. 1/2 VW is iffy.

After posting, I finally remembered Hirth Engines. I googled Hirth, and found a U.S. distributer in Tiffin, OH (http://www.recpower.com). The 2702 comes in a little fat at 70 lbs, free air cooling (even heavier w/the gearbox or forced air), but may be doable @ 40HP.

I owned a 2702. Be very careful here. These had a bearing issue. The new Hirth water cooled engines are nice but the early Hirth's had bearing issue's.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 03-13-2014 at 09:17 AM.

There has never been 60-ish pound, 40-ish (or better) HP engine produced
    Your choice beside Rotax which you can still easily get as used is currently produced Hirth or MZ by Compact Radial Engines
    Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.

http://the-grand-design.com/

Compact radial out of Canada...I would run from this company. The down fall to this company is...Leon the owner. I could give you all the details but this is another story.

Tony

Belite is going to be showing off the following engine at Sun-n-Fun: 36.5 HP, water cooled, dual ignition, gear reduction propeller drive. Tuned air intake and exhaust. Internally counterbalanced. No vibration. Clutch!?. 54 pounds with ignition, exhaust, air cleaner, all mounting hardware. Italian!! Look, fit & finish like a Ferrari. See it at Sun 'n Fun in just over 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Finney View Post
    Belite is going to be showing off the following engine at Sun-n-Fun: 36.5 HP, water cooled, dual ignition, gear reduction propeller drive. Tuned air intake and exhaust. Internally counterbalanced. No vibration. Clutch!?. 54 pounds with ignition, exhaust, air cleaner, all mounting hardware. Italian!! Look, fit & finish like a Ferrari. See it at Sun 'n Fun in just over 3 weeks.
    Really...? Sounds interesting......

It will be sexy for its Italian made.

Just ask an Italian

Tony

The MZ is a fine engine - the reports of the MZ being a bad engine come from 12 years ago with disgruntled PPC owners who didn't know how to tune the carbs. ( Rotax has the same problem - they just did a better job of addressing it) It is true that the owner is not a salesman and there is not a distribution network. His machine work is excellent. The PPG people like his engine. I have the MZ-201. Rotax 337, 447 , 503s are readily available with plenty plenty of parts worldwide and a lot of people skilled in maintaining them.
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 03-14-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Really...? Sounds interesting......

It will be sexy for its Italian made.

Just ask an Italian

Tony
    Ooooooohhhhhhh....Sexy Italian Affordaplane! :-D

Guys, I want to thank all of you for the comments and suggestions. I hope the belite engine is for real. Usually, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.