Thread: Time for Action: Contact your Congressmen about the 3rd Class Medical Bill

Jonathan Harger

Time for Action: Contact your Congressmen about the 3rd Class Medical Bill

Hello All,

Now that the House version of the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act (GAPPA), commonly referred to as "the 3rd class medical bill," has a companion in the Senate, the time is right for EAA members to contact their Senators and Representatives to urge support for this important legislation.
    Please use the Rally Congress tool at http://govt.eaa.org/14781/support-general-aviation-pilot-protection-act/ to find a customizable letter that you can send automatically to your representatives.
    We cannot understate the importance of your action. Congress does listen to its constituents, and making your voice heard is vital to advancing this legislation. Thank you for your action!

I sent this to many of my friends, pilots or not and asked for support. I also posted it on social media asking for support. I sincerely hope it continues to gain momentum.

Jonathan and EAA- thanks for making this easy for us. Keep up the good work!

Save an Aviator...get Congress to vote Yes on GAPPA.

Done.
    Questions: I'm aware of the limitations re. passengers, gw & non commercial ops. Anything about night or IFR?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Done.
    Questions: I'm aware of the limitations re. passengers, gw & non commercial ops. Anything about night or IFR?
    VFR Only. No mention of Day or Night.

House text: (Senate text not yet published)

(1) the individual possesses a valid State driver's license and complies with any medical requirement associated with that license;
    (2) the individual is transporting not more than 5 passengers;
    (3) the individual is operating under visual flight rules; and
    (4) the relevant flight, including each portion thereof, is not carried out--
    (A) for compensation, including that no passenger or property on the flight is being carried for compensation;
    (B) at an altitude that is more than 14,000 feet above mean sea level;
    (C) outside the United States, unless authorized by the country in which the flight is conducted; or
    (D) at a speed exceeding 250 knots.
    (b) Covered Aircraft Defined- In this section, the term `covered aircraft' means an aircraft that--
    (1) is not authorized under Federal law to carry more than 6 occupants; and
    (2) has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6000 pounds.