Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear a flight jacket?

Everyone is welcome to join us in IAC and earn the patch below for your jacket.

See you at the box,

Wes
    N78PS

Name:  IAC_Int_Stars_Patch_Small.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  45.3 KB

I would love to try this. Not sure I could do it. I get sick very easy. Never happened flying my little eab but I about lost my lunch flying with a friend in his 172. He banked really hard and dropped as he did it. I just about lost it.

Tony

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN

Do you wear a flight jacket?

Here's my only decorated flight jacket. A friend's wife paint jackets for my wife and me 25 years ago. I have two or three leather A-2 types but it rarely gets cold enough to wear them.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394679632.083631.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  37.7 KB
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Jim very nice. What do I need to look for when looking for someone to do this for me?

Tony

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I really have no idea. I bought the jackets, handed them and a photo and Becky took it from there. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394758989.454411.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  89.5 KB
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

I took an old AF Flight jacket I had and added patches related to my GA flying. I wear it when it gets cold enough starting many flying conversations. Name:  IMG_0371_zps8d3b11d6.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  75.9 KB Name:  IMG_0369_zpsfe6dbb9b.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  79.7 KB
    Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 03-16-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com

I don't display any patches or emblems on my jackets. Flight/crew jackets are utility for me and the jacket itself is enough identification for those who are familiar and for those who are not, that's OK with me. However, I would encourage others to wear whatever it is that pleases them, as long as what they wear doesn't represent something they are not. I also have absolutely no issue with civilians wearing military surplus, it's generally inexpensive, and re-using that for which would otherwise be wasted....and they paid for it twice!!

Best Regards.......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member
    KTYL/KGEU, EAA White Mountain Chapter 586 - Show Low Regional KSOW
    "If you go down, go down standing up"

I once saw the late Merle Gustafson climb out of his Corsair, Angel of Okinawa. He was wearing bib overalls. As for me, I sometime wear a Coat, flyers, man's, Lt zone, L2B that was issued to me when I was on active duty. All the rank, name tag and patches are non-subdued, in living color and that sort of made it non regulation. In the end, it went home with me and lives in my closet. A gift of a gratefull government. Good for Florida winters. I also use it as an inner garment when I layer up in cold weather. Almost adequate when we visited in laws in the Minnesotta Iron Range for new years eve in the Mooney. IIR, it never got above minus 10 F until we got south of IL.
    I really like the orange liner for just in case. I once spotted a downed pilot who turned his in side out and waved it at me. I also have a USN leather jacket and I don't like flying with it. No warmth. No pen holders on the sleeve. They're inside a pocket. Also, the fur collar bends my head and neck forward. when I wear a PFD. Gave it to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Puertoricoflyer View Post
    I took an old AF Flight jacket I had and added patches related to my GA flying. I wear it when it gets cold enough starting many flying conversations. Name:  IMG_0371_zps8d3b11d6.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  75.9 KB Name:  IMG_0369_zpsfe6dbb9b.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  79.7 KB
    I really like this.

This is not about what I wear when I fly. Its about what I wear when I am not flying. I fly only in nice weather or I guess you could call it tee-shirt weather. I have a couple patches for my jacket, one says I would rather be flying, the other is a set of wings.
    I want something painted on the back and something for all the airplanes I have flown.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    My CFI wears a jacket as does most who hang around his airport. But no one has any kinda of patches or emblems on them, not one. Then I sit at a stop light the other night and a group of men walked by. They all were staying at the Route 66 Hotel. They all had their jackets on and they had them all done up really nice. Everyone had a smile on their face and walked with pride. This was a biker group.

If they can do this so can we.

As for the nose art, that is my next project putting nose art on my EAB airplane.

Thanks for the comment Tom.

Tony

P.S. I named my airplane "Faith"
    I completely agree with your train of thought about distinctive jackets. Also, my airplane is all white so my wife nicknamed it "Blanquita" which is Spanish for white girl. I want to eventually use this WWII nose art on her. Name:  BlanquitaImage-Small_zps8d96c861.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 03-16-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com