Thread: Ads-b mode s first flight class B???

Ads-b mode s first flight class B???

I have a situation coming in the near future. I am based at an airport in the mode C vail of class B airspace. I am at a non controlled field. My Glasair is equipped with ads-b mode S transponder. I have no way to get the transponder checked out before the first flight and in fact the closest place to get it checked will not be within the radius for the fly-off. For most of the fly off period I fly out of the airspace and not be in the class b airspace, but I will be for every take off and landing during that time and I will be for the entire first couple of flights over the airport. Suggestions?

Before first flight, contact ATC. Let them know, and get flight following. They will be able to verify your transponder is working as a Mode C at the minimum and reporting altitude correctly.
    After that, as long as the transponder is working I would expect you to be fine.

Tim

I've arranged takeoffs and landings from even the primary airport of a class B (Dulles) with no transponder (and in some cases no radio at all). Some of this has been even post 9-11. Just call ATC. Tell them your departure time and route of flight. Around here, if you stay below 1500 and away from the end of the major runways, it's not a concern as you boogie out of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by tspear View Post
    Before first flight, contact ATC. Let them know, and get flight following. They will be able to verify your transponder is working as a Mode C at the minimum and reporting altitude correctly.
    After that, as long as the transponder is working I would expect you to be fine.

Tim
    Better to follow Ron's advice, but leave xpdr off until checked as per cfr 91.413. Charge for my opinion = free, value = 0. Reading the regs, priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Better to follow Ron's advice, but leave xpdr off until checked as per cfr 91.413. Charge for my opinion = free, value = 0. Reading the regs, priceless.
    Good point on the FAR 91.413
    I made the implicit assumption this was done previously.

Tim

The shop where I get my annual done knows of a neighboring avionics shop that has portable test equipment. They come to his hangar and do my 91.413 test every other year. Maybe you could find such a deal in your area. That would both ensure your transponder is working and satisfy the regs (which are two different things, unfortunately).

I think you are talking about a first flight of your new Glassair here, right? (Beautiful panel, by the way.) I seriously doubt you want to be contacting approach control to verify your transponder on your first flight. Seems like that situation is the epidemy of "fly the airplane, not the radios"!