Thread: Are Vet Charitues Legit?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are Vet Charitues Legit?

We may see someone soliciting for a charity for what seems like a good cause, such as wounded vets, or homeless, etc.
    Sometimes on further inspection the "charity" doesn't measure up.

I got a mailing from "Paralyzed Veterans of American" which says is a 65 year old charity and shows the executive director in a wheelchair.
    Several things about the mailing just didn't seem right, so I looked it up on Google, etc. In short I don't think this is where I want to send any money.
    Forbes business magazine rates 200 charities, it lists the top 10 and also the bottom 10. This organization is listed in the bottom 10.
    It it rated 40 on a scale of 70 or 57%. Only 33 % of revenue in actually goes out to benficiaries, 62% of revenue is consumed by fundraising. So is essence, 2/3 of every dollar you donate is spent only on asking for more dollars. Often this fundraising is done under contract by professional and for profit companies. The Ex Dir has a salary of $251,000.
    So, just in my opinion, while probably not a scam , this charity is at best ineffecient and most of the money donated does not go to vets.
    Sadly, of the 10 bottom charities in this survey, 3 related to Vets. It is easy to play on our sympathies, especially these days when so many have been injured by wars.

A really good charity should spend no more than about 15% on admin costs and the majority of the money coming in should actually go out to the subject.
    We can be generous while also being careful.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-08-2014 at 10:20 PM.