Thread: Old Wooden Propeller Question

Old Wooden Propeller Question

I have an old wooden Prop that was given to me years ago by a friend of my Dad's but unfortunately both him and my Dad have passed on. I'm trying to figure out how old it is or what aircraft it might have been on. The Prop is just about 7 feet tall and has a decal on it. The only thing I can read is S&S with wings around it. I'm attaching a image of the decal.
    Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  99.2 KBName:  IMG_1122.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  94.6 KBThe prop has 8 bolt holes so I suspect with the hight and number of bolt holes it may have come off a old twin aircraft. I have attached a couple of images of the prop. Any help with some identification would be greatly appreciated.

James

Should have a diameter and pitch stamped into it close to the hub area. S and S was a Winnipeg based company. The prop was probably for an Avro Anson prior to them being switched to metal props. This link might help a little:

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/forum...ead.php?t=1083

The numbers I see stamped near the hub on the back are: 7721. Do you know when the Avro Anson was in service? Any idea what the prop may be worth??

Thanks!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    Should have a diameter and pitch stamped into it close to the hub area. S and S was a Winnipeg based company. The prop was probably for an Avro Anson prior to them being switched to metal props. This link might help a little:

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/forum...ead.php?t=1083

[QUOTEDo you know when the Avro Anson was in service? Any idea what the prop may be worth??/QUOTE]

The Anson's disappeared pretty quickly after WWII. They were pretty expensive to fly.

Looking at the prop it value is a tough one. It doesn't look in real good shape and would certainly never be airworthy. It is basically a wall hanging.