Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ethanol

Ethanol

Corn crap in fuel is one of the less helpful things government has required; I now fly an LSA (CTLS) and can use up tp E10 High Test auto gas (mogas). I am using non-ethanol mogas right now, The ethanol gas is my last choice as performance is degraded a bit, climb performance and fuel burn are affected. I use 100LL on the road and it and "real" gas are pretty much co-equal in performance.

Sign me up in the "ethanol Sux" list.

Alchohol fuel is bad fuel and bad policy. The producers get a $.45 per gallon tax credit which you have to make up. There are only a few areas not adequately covered in prior posts.
    1- Do not use alchohol fuels in two strokes. We had many unexplained seizures on roadracing bikes when alchohol was first added. Water was absorbed, then phase separation occured. Oil will disolve in the gas or in the alchohol but not in the water. Instant seizure is the result. Today many marine manufacturers will not warranty alchohol related failures.
    2- Even if the engine manufacturer approves E10 the airplane fuel system may not be compatible. Verify with them prior to use. In fact, one of ACS gascolators specifically is not alchohol appreved.
    3- No manufacturer that I am aware of (other than autos) approves 15% alchohol.

As a final comment on how the public has been duped on this - consider the effect fuel alchohol has had on the cost of your food.
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by BMW rider View Post
    > ...
    3- No manufacturer that I am aware of (other than autos) approves 15% alchohol.

> ...
    Ralph
    Actually, there is no auto manufacturer that approves or warrants their non flex-fuel vehicles for any ethanol blend above 10% and there are certainly no fuel maps for the ECM's for E15. In fact the auto manufacturers have joined other industries in suing the EPA over the bifurcated waiver for E15, http://green.autoblog.com/2010/12/20...ig-automakers/