Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol

By the way, I settled on an engine today. I am going with a Rolls Royce M250-B17F turboprop.

Can you identify the state representative, and has he made any press releases? I can find no reference to a bill on the web.

No state will be able to completely ban ethanol in fuels since the Federal government has mandated production quotas in the EISA 2007 Act, the same law that will dictate the end of incandescent light bulbs. States can, however, pass laws that specify where the ethanol may and may not be used. For instance, all states with mandatory ethanol laws for highway vehicles, like California, exempt airplanes and most other off-highway uses of ethanol blends. But gas companies are not required to sell this ethanol-free fuel, which is why the new company Clear Gas (cleargas.co) must truck it in from Nevada for use at airports, marinas, race tracks, etc. You'll find a great deal of information on this topic on our GAfuels blog at GAN, http://www.generalaviationnews.com/c...inion/gafuels/ Attend my forum at 10AM on Wednesday, 7/27/11 in Oshkosh for guidelines on how to find ethanol-free autogas suppliers and how to get it onto your airport. Details on the forum are here: http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2...re/#more-45713

Quote Originally Posted by flyunleaded View Post
    Can you identify the state representative, and has he made any press releases? I can find no reference to a bill on the web.
    I'm gonna have to do a litle research. I got the notification in an email from an acquaintance and did look at the news release in the York, PA local paper, but I've forgotten the Rep's name and the title/number of the bill. If I can find it, I'll be getting back to you.
    Last edited by rosiejerryrosie; 07-23-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Correcting typos...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I have my ethanol 'test kit' & am able to find several stations here in WI that sell non-ethanol fuel, usually 91 octane. I agree with the above poster, ethanol is a big federal issue, hard for one state to make much headway without help at the fed level. It's a big money/subsidy 'merry-go-round', plenty of special interests enjoying the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by flyunleaded View Post
    It is State Rep Seth Grove of the PA 196th District. His bill is discussed on his web page http://www.repgrove.com/NewsItem.aspx?NewsID=11966 Look at the side bar on the left.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Regarding fiberglass tanks & ethanol--- yes they will deteriorate from contact with ethanol, but if you can remove the tank & cut it open in a way that allows for a good reseal, you can save it. Sand all surfaces and re-cover with Vinyl Ester Resin. Impervious to alcohol. My VW-powered KR-2 is quite happy with it.

Beware of any ethanol in aircraft!

Even if you do find a sealant that will tolerate 10% ethanol blends, be aware of a few issues:

1. No state checks the actual amount of ethanol being sold. Unscrupulous retailers have been known to put up to 30% ethanol into what they sell, if the subsidies and other factors make this worthwhile.

2. The EPA approved 15% blends late last year. While there are many reasons why it will take some time before we see this at gas stations, there will be retailers that will jump the gun and start selling it, perhaps without the required labels on pumps.

3. The EPA's ultimate goal is to take our fuel to E85, 85% ethanol. There are no sealants out there now that will handle this for vented fuel systems like those we use.

4. When an aircraft sits parked for days/weeks/months as is often the case, ethanol absorbs moisture in the air until phase separation occurs. This water/ethanol mixture sits in the bottom of your tank an is highly corrosive. Jabiru aircraft earlier this year rescinded its previous approval of E10 fuel for its aircraft because of this problem.

The best solution is the simplest one - NO ETHANOL! You'll find it at gas stations and marinas listed at www.pure-gas.org. The best list of airports selling ethanol-free, lead-free autogas is http://www.flyunleaded.com/airports.php

Join the free Aviation Fuel Club to stay informed on low-cost aviation fuel solutions, http://www.aviationfuelclub.org/

Read how ethanol in our fuels is costing Americans millions in property damage:
    http://pure-gas.org/petition

Quote Originally Posted by kmisegades@bellsouth.net View Post
    The best solution is the simplest one - NO ETHANOL! You'll find it at gas stations and marinas listed...
    Unfortunately, in some states (like Connecticut where I live), there is no ethanol free gas (other than avgas, which is also bad for engines not designed for it). Actually CT law mandates oxygenated gasoline but bans MTBE, which leaves ethanol as the only alternative. Although non ethanol fuel is technically legal to sell at airports, the airports that did sell mogas don't any more, since the distributors add the ethanol at the terminal and won't specially handle the relatively small amounts that an airport would buy.

Sadly, as long as there are powerful senators in corn growing states, there will be ethanol in gasoline.

Dana, you might want to check on the oxygenate law in CT; many states have rescinded these with the advent of cleaner fuels and more sophisticated engine controls in recent years. You are indeed in an ethanol-free "desert", but other states have found solutions. Take for instance Mike Willey of the Norridgewock, Maine airport, who searched for a supplier and found one in Orleans, VT, D&C Transportation. They bring the fuel in from Quebec, Canada. Any airport or marina now in NH/VT/ME can obtain ethanol-free premium as a result of one person's effort. All it takes are a few determined people to make this happen. You will find many allies among pilots, boaters, motorsports enthusiasts, snowmobilers, etc. Make sure too your state and federal representatives are educated on the disastrous consequences we all face as a result of our nation's biofuels policies. We need a ban on ethanol in premium fuel to preserve a safe fuel for hundreds of millions of engines damaged by it. Not having E0 means we pilot must use more leaded avgas than necessary.