Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ethanol

Let's get some new things started here in the new forum.
    Just found out that a state representative in Pennsylvania is introducing a bill to outlaw the addition of ethanol to mogas here in PA. Great news! Hope he can get the bill passed....
    Last edited by rosiejerryrosie; 07-20-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: correcting typo

That is great news! Hopefully other states will follow!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Great news!

That is good news. I live about 10 minutes from the PA boarder, wouldn't be hard to get gas. That makes the idea of an ultralight even more appealing.Question: I recently saw a boating commercial for a fuel additive that is supposed to reduce the effects of ethanol on an engine. A quick google found several such products. What are the thoughts of using these additives in ultralights?

Unless you're willing to potentially bet your life to prove that it works at altitude, I wouldn't try it but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mbond View Post
    That is good news. I live about 10 minutes from the PA boarder, wouldn't be hard to get gas. That makes the idea of an ultralight even more appealing.Question: I recently saw a boating commercial for a fuel additive that is supposed to reduce the effects of ethanol on an engine. A quick google found several such products. What are the thoughts of using these additives in ultralights?
    I agree with Steve. I am reluctant to add anything to the fuel that is keeping my engine turning, especially an additive supposed to counteract the effects of an additive.... Also, I'm not sure which of the negative affects of ethanol it is supposed to correct....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

To be completely honest, I feel that same way about mo-gas that you folks seem to feel about the ethanol being commonly added to it: I don't want it in an airplane I am riding in. The aircraft I am working on is going to be Jet-A fueled for a couple of good reasons (to avoid the need to re-engine later when 100LL is finally phased out; to reduce to the risk of a post-crash fire). To each and to their own though.....fly safe my friends.

Can you identify the state representative, and has he made any press releases? I can find no reference to a bill on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by flyunleaded View Post
    Can you identify the state representative, and has he made any press releases? I can find no reference to a bill on the web.
    I'm gonna have to do a litle research. I got the notification in an email from an acquaintance and did look at the news release in the York, PA local paper, but I've forgotten the Rep's name and the title/number of the bill. If I can find it, I'll be getting back to you.
    Last edited by rosiejerryrosie; 07-23-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Correcting typos...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I have my ethanol 'test kit' & am able to find several stations here in WI that sell non-ethanol fuel, usually 91 octane. I agree with the above poster, ethanol is a big federal issue, hard for one state to make much headway without help at the fed level. It's a big money/subsidy 'merry-go-round', plenty of special interests enjoying the ride.