Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol

Ethanol

Let's get some new things started here in the new forum.
    Just found out that a state representative in Pennsylvania is introducing a bill to outlaw the addition of ethanol to mogas here in PA. Great news! Hope he can get the bill passed....
    Last edited by rosiejerryrosie; 07-20-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: correcting typo

That is great news! Hopefully other states will follow!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Great news!

That is good news. I live about 10 minutes from the PA boarder, wouldn't be hard to get gas. That makes the idea of an ultralight even more appealing.Question: I recently saw a boating commercial for a fuel additive that is supposed to reduce the effects of ethanol on an engine. A quick google found several such products. What are the thoughts of using these additives in ultralights?

Unless you're willing to potentially bet your life to prove that it works at altitude, I wouldn't try it but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mbond View Post
    That is good news. I live about 10 minutes from the PA boarder, wouldn't be hard to get gas. That makes the idea of an ultralight even more appealing.Question: I recently saw a boating commercial for a fuel additive that is supposed to reduce the effects of ethanol on an engine. A quick google found several such products. What are the thoughts of using these additives in ultralights?
    I agree with Steve. I am reluctant to add anything to the fuel that is keeping my engine turning, especially an additive supposed to counteract the effects of an additive.... Also, I'm not sure which of the negative affects of ethanol it is supposed to correct....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

To be completely honest, I feel that same way about mo-gas that you folks seem to feel about the ethanol being commonly added to it: I don't want it in an airplane I am riding in. The aircraft I am working on is going to be Jet-A fueled for a couple of good reasons (to avoid the need to re-engine later when 100LL is finally phased out; to reduce to the risk of a post-crash fire). To each and to their own though.....fly safe my friends.

I see your point, Steve, but my airplane was built to run on Mogas and now I'm forced to use 100LL, which is also not good for it, but better than ethanol contaminated fuel.
    What engine are you using in yur airplane?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I haven't decided yet since I am still very much in the early planning stages. I was originally intending upon using an aviation deisel but there is a distinct lack of designs out there that meet the needs we have so it might wind up with a turboprop like a PT-6A. Once I get to Oshkosh next week I am planning on talking to a couple of different manufacturers to see what is on the horizon since it will likely be five to six years before I ever get around to needing an engine. At the moment, I am more involved with designing the subsystems (seats, cockpit layout, fuel tanks, etc) to get a better idea of what the empty weight of the aircraft would be.

Part of me has thought about just going all out and designing the aircraft around one of the smaller jet engines out there. However, I have serious concerns about getting into something that complicated for my first major design.

I am using a VW engine so mogas is much the cheaper way to go. However, the nose tank is an old fiberglass tank that will become "gooey" from alcohol. I am all for mogas without the ethanol.