Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Team AeroDynamix Shut Out of Airventure????

I'll try not to make this too rambling, so apologies off the bat. I just turned 32 a couple days ago, and this summer will be my 32nd Oshkosh. Granted I don't remember a lot of the shows in the 1980's I do know that I end up missing acts that I used to take for granted.

I miss the grace and precision of the Eagles and French Connection.

I miss the non-stop action of Leo Loudenslager.

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Sean Tucker move from 1-800-Collect to 10-10-220 to the a Oracle Challenger.

I've never been a huge fan of the extended warbirds demonstrations, used to sleep through them as a kid and now the they're still good for a good nap. However, it pains me to see the diminishing numbers of participating warbirds year after year. They are an extremely important part of history and when I get the chance to meet the men and women who supported the war effort I am constantly humbled by their sacrifice.

Among the "recent" acts that have caused me to stop and take notice are of course the late Jimmy Franklin and the Jet Waco, the amazing duo of P51's called the Horsemen, the Northern Lights, the 4ce and others.

This past year, in my opinion. Was one of the better air show experiences of my life. I believe there were two separate RV solo acts, the return of the BD Jet, a demo of the Subsonex, Team AeroDynamix was truly fascinating to watch, and some new hardcore aerobatic acts to enjoy. I've always loved the hardcore aerobatic acts that makes you say to yourself "I never thought an airplane could do that." I enjoyed the flying of Rob Holland so much that as a regional airline captain I traded tips so that I could have an extended layover in Dallas the day of the World Aerobatic Championships 4 Minute Freestyele event. I like to think I've witnessed a lot of the modern day evolution of aerobatic flying and aircraft, but what he does is truly remarkable.

I know to a lot of EAA'ers I'm young and dumb, but I've long asked the question of why aren't there more homebuilts on Aeroshell square, and why should I give a crap what Embraer and Bombardier are doing with their corporate jets? I get that their money is needed and hopefully well spent, but when you have a chance to have a team like AeroDynamix who are in the true spirit of EAA volunteering their time and skill to fly an airshow you produce and fund, built on the backs of home builders and volunteers, and don't invite them to perform is an insult at best.

again, sorry about the long rant, but young or old, we all have passion for this association. Hopefully our collective voices will be heard.

I guess I will add my 2 cents worth to this issue. I to wish to see the addition of any 'homebuilt' aircraft , team or solo, to the airshow. After all, is this not the EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION??? Come on, like others, I agree that big name Spam Can companies contribution to the show is welcome and needed financially, but like others have said, the GRASS ROOTS of this organization is in homebuilt aircraft! Mr. Pelton...if you read this and are truly intent on 'turning around' the mistakes of your predecessor, then lets keep as much homebuilt, experimental aircraft in the high lights as possible. True, even the big name airshow acts use highly modified or purpose built aircraft in there business... I don't think you will find to many of Sean Tuckers Oricle planes on the market to buy for your own use! Since the EAA also has a Warbirds division, they are always welcome and encouraged. I was not present last year, but do hope to make it this year, so I would love to see as many EXPERIMENTL AIRCRAFT as possible. I am aware that the show schedule is done by a select group, I say that the voice of the members should be heard also. Since they say there is strength in numbers, I cast my vote for Team AeroDynamix.
    Wayne Hartman
    EAA 594185

It has been interesting reading the string. Personally, I like the RV team. Lots of fun to watch. I would rather see them than, for example, the Snow Birds. But I am concerned about the way the thread is going. Yes, we are the Experimental Aircraft Association. Homebuilt aircraft were the genesis and continue to be a core feature of the Association. That said, most of the aircraft in the airshow are "Experimental." Says so on the airplanes. Some are not, but I would wager that the vast majority are. Within EAA there are the amateur built airplanes, the vintage airplanes, aerobatic, ultralights, and warbirds. They are all EAA. All should be represented. (Please note that monster trucks, even when jet-powered, are NOT an EAA category.)

We don't know why AeroDynamix did not make the cut or how the decision was made not to invite them. We do know that they did not want that to be the cause of EAA bashing…which seems to have happened anyway.

Maybe, instead, we could ask for a little transparency in the invitation process, or at least know what the process is. It could be, you know, that homebuilt flight demonstration is planned…just not AeroDynamix. (Just speculation.)

I am sorry if my post sounded like it was bashing the administration or EAA in general. That was not my intent. As noted in my post, I stated that most of the airshow performers were flying in planes listed as "Experimental"...either modified as Exibition, or as an entirely purpose built aircraft. And, you are correct in stating that we (as general members) are not present when the attendees list is made up, so we are not aware of the particular reasons for some not on that list. I totally enjoy ALL of Airventure, regardless of who and what is there, with maybe the exception of the jet truck!! ANYTHING aviation is fine with me... Now if they could just get some wings on the jet truck......???? LOL
    Wayne