Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team AeroDynamix Shut Out of Airventure????

Thumbs Down Team AeroDynamix Shut Out of Airventure????

I've seen on at least two other forums that the RV formation team, Team AeroDynamix, has not been invited to perform at AirVenture 2014. Why in the world would a flying team of home built airplanes, especially one that has demonstrated such a high degree of professionalism, not be invited to perform at a "convention" of homebuilt airplanes???
    Is it because they are not sponsored by a high dollar company that will pay to have a display at AirVenture. This is very disappointing............
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

Here's a statement direct from the one of the team members (lifted from the RV forums):

Allow me to provide you with some details. I would not characterise it as 'shunned again'. As we did fly the show last year. All shows are by invitation. We did not get invited to fly AirVenture this year. I cant tell you the exact reason as the process of selecting performers is not well known nor very transparent. I am told that it is by committee. That said, we were very disappointed to find out that we were not selected to perform.

The scrutiny of selection a couple of years back was a high bar for us in particular. We made a special visit, met with various officials at EAA, gave a presentation in front of those officials, showed them our training and safety program etc. We do not know of another performer that has had to do this. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And quite honestly, we welcomed the scrutiny for measuring up anytime. We have a very well documented program of training, standards, and 12 years of an unblemished safety record.

While we feel that our acts entertainment level on its own, rises to to the level of any air show regardless of size, our connection as homebuilders, flying experimental aircraft, of the type represented by the largest footprint of planes at AV, at the Experimental Aircraft Associations air show, does seem like a pretty good fit to me.

I definitely do not want this to turn into an EAA bash fest. Its not who we are and this is not the right forum for it. Our position would be, if you feel so inclined, by all means let EAA know. They do have forums like this one, and contacts there. Although quite honestly I would not personally know who to email or contact on this issue.

As always we very much appreciate your support in the home built community and whether we fly AV or not, we will be flying a full show season and will do our very best to represent you all in the most professional, dedicated and fun way that we can. Its what we do, having an absolute ball along the way. Getting to perform in front of our RV friends? Maybe not at AV. BUT...We hope to do you proud at Sun n Fun in a few weeks. NIGHT SHOW BABY!

Although I built and fly an RV, I am not an RV zealot. They are great planes, but there are lots of great planes out there. Specifically, lots of great HOMEBUILT planes and we all should be proud of them. Especially EAA.

I must say that I am disappointed in EAA for this decision. I thought Jack was trying to bring EAA back to its roots, or at least closer to its roots, by shedding the big business bent that started to appear during Rod's reign. Here we have a highly professional, well trained, and extremely motivated collection of pilot-builders that put on an extremely entertaining and safe show. I would think that most, if not all, of us EAA members, especially the builders and pilots, find guys like this inspirational. "Hey, those guys built their own airplane just like I'm doing/have done". Seems like positive reinforcement to me.

What will REALLY tick me off is if Team AeroDynamix does not appear, but some idiot in a Kenworth with jet engine strapped to the back does. I get the "experimental" part of that, but I don't see the "aviation" part.

Just my $0.02.
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

I agree with all above.

Come on EAA, were you really thinking this one through?

Please reconsider.

Whoever the "team member" is who wrote the above is a gentleman. That alone should warrant reconsideration by the EAA committee. It's the behavior exemplified by Paul P. all his life and one of his big gifts to EAA.

I didn't expect much last year from the RV group--just a bunch of amateurs. But I was impressed. They put on a good show. I hope to see them again this year at Oshkosh.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Whoever the "team member" is who wrote the above is a gentleman. That alone should warrant reconsideration by the EAA committee. It's the behavior exemplified by Paul P. all his life and one of his big gifts to EAA.

I didn't expect much last year from the RV group--just a bunch of amateurs. But I was impressed. They put on a good show. I hope to see them again this year at Oshkosh.
    That quote was from me from the VAF forums off this thread. Im the team Flight Lead Mike Stewart. You are very kind and I appreciate you taking a moment to say so.
    PS I see you are from Las Cruces. I was born in Hobbs and my dad went to college in Las Cruces. I sure miss that part of the country.

I was very disappointed to learn that Team Aerodynamix will not be part of the airshow at AirVenture 2014, as their superb displays were one of the highlights of the show last year for my wife and I. I recognize that there are many other excellent airshow performers as well, so I certainly won't suggest that Team Aerodynamix should fly every day. But I strongly urge EAA to rework the schedule to have them perform on several days, including at least one early in the week.

I've seen some references which suggest that formation teams are on a rotation. Yet it seems like the AeroShell Aerobatic Team is there every year, and Warbirds of America fills the sky with T-28s and T-6s every year. And some solo performers are there every year.

EAA should be focused on amateur-built aircraft, and they should get priority at AirVenture in my opinion. If there aren't enough airshow minutes to go around, cut back on the number of minutes allocated to warbirds before dropping a world-class team of amateur-built aircraft. If there has to be a rotation, treat all teams equally.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
    If there aren't enough airshow minutes to go around, cut back on the number of minutes allocated to warbirds before dropping a world-class team of amateur-built aircraft. If there has to be a rotation, treat all teams equally.
    Not the Warbirds, it is both a thrill and a blessing to be able to see these so few beautiful birds fly. I'm for dropping the definitely over subscribed number of solo aerobat acts. I mean, c'mon folks, just how many "laugenshlogers" can you see and take in one day!! Aerobatics are like breasts. Once you've seen one, you've seen them both.

There are a whole lot of solo acts and warbird acts/flybys. I'm surprised EAA couldn't find room on the schedule for a team that exemplifies EAA - amateurs flying homebuilt aircraft and doing a great (and entertaining) job of it.

There was a similar thread last year. Bottom line is that there's a committee that determines the line up. I'm sure there are a lot more performers than there are slots in the line up. See Hal's post (#8) for the EAA stance.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?4146-Airshow-Lineup
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.