Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team AeroDynamix Shut Out of Airventure????

I am so disappointed in this news, and was so looking forward to see another Team AeroDynamix nighttime show that I am seriously considering skipping Airventure altogether this year. I saw their night show last year and it was the most impressive and stunningly beautiful performance I think I've ever seen at Oshkosh.
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6

I would join in those suggesting the decision be reconsidered. They put on an excellent act and were great ambassadors to aviation over on Aeroshell square (and also elsewhere on the grounds I am sure)

I was looking forward to Team AD to perform now that they are not going to be there I will still go but 2014 marks as my very last airventure airshow not until EAA gets back to Grass Roots fly-ins will I attend Airventure Team AD is my favorite formation team

I am pretty sure there is no one single mysterious reason the team wasn’t chosen this year. It’s just the unfortunate result of a committee, like our congress, that is well intentioned but sometimes doesn’t see the forest for the trees. I bet the team will still be at Oshkosh all week to talk with loyal fans, sign autographs and support their amazing Sponsors. Please stop by and see them. They will probably be giving out pictures and answering any plane questions you may have.

I really wish EAA would reconsider having Team AeroDynamix especially for their awesome twilight performance. They have developed their craft into a crowd pleasing, professional demonstration of aviation art & skill in a relatively short time. I also strongly agree with another writer above that with their home built aircraft, they exemplify in every way the very reason EAA exits. Pursue your talent & your passion for flight! See you all at Oshkosh.

I suspect the air shows decisions are based more on "How can we encourage the 'lawn chair' crowd of regional day trippers to pay the gate" more than they're concerned about any of the "airshow attendees." The same reason why we have the god awful Shockwave (which was a complete idiocy at night) and the Masters of Destruction nonsense.

Kevin, while you may resent warbirds flying in the show, remember a few things.
    1. Icas did audience surveys,( which may have some bias) and vintage warbirds were shown to be popular, and rated quite a bit higher than civilian acts.
    2. Warbirds don't charge a fee as such other than getting fuel for the show, not for enroute or other expenses.
    3. Another way to judge what the public wants to see is look at where the crowds go for the ground displays. Warbirds, along with modern military like a C5A, are where the people are. As well built as an RV may be, with lots of new electro gizmos on the panel, I don't think that is where most of the crowds go. You may be an avid homebuilder, but I doubt if most members are. I have done it once, but only as a minor partner. What % of members do you think are builders? and what % of the EAA crowd are?
    4. Warbirds mostly fly in their own time segment not in the acro portion.
    5. Perhaps the homebuilder division should set up a display and a small seating area, and have a top builder explain how he did his plane, the ups and downs and maybe how he chose the avionics and how the plane flies. This is what warbirds does, not with a builder ,but various important planes and often vets, and it is really popular.
    6. Some warbirds are popular both because of high performance but also their place in history, in a way RV s aren't. RV s have been such a success that they have a place in homebuilder history, but I think the public would rather see FiFi or the Yegans Mosquito flying, than a number of Rvs, even ones that are well flown.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-07-2014 at 08:45 AM.

2. Warbirds don't charge a fee as such other than getting fuel for the show, not for enroute or other expenses.

EAA doesn't pay for the acts. If you don't have sponsorship (or independent wealth) you don't come.

Ron, as I understand them, and I may be wrong, the RV team are a professional act with a contract and a fee at most airshows, other than Oshkosh. Most warbird groups with some exceptions don't operate that way, although there is some overlap.

4 pages of "what's your favorite airshow routine?" on this forum, and nobody mentioned AeroDynamix.
    I'll put on my Nomex and get into this one. I thought AeroDynamix was boring. The planes aren't extreme in their flying like a Pitts or an Extra. They aren't loud commanding attention like a Stearman or T-6. They don't have awe inspiring history like the Warbirds do, or the speed of the jet displays. Sure, they fly very precise routines, but they don't have the "it" factor. I also thought they were too busy, too much going on at once. There was this happening here, that happening over there, they were all over the place.

I also believe that the fly in is for the members, but the airshow is for the public. I fall somewhere in between, I've been a member for 20 years, been going to Oshkosh for 30. But I'm not a pilot, or a builder. I like the showcase flying, can't be bothered much with the airshow acts, they are a bit samey. So the airshow acts that do come around have to really grab my attention. Aeroshell don't do anything different really that Team AeroDynamix do, but their show grabs you because the T-6 is loud and shouty. Obviously this is all just my personal opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    I also believe that the fly in is for the members, but the airshow is for the public. I fall somewhere in between, I've been a member for 20 years, been going to Oshkosh for 30. But I'm not a pilot, or a builder.
    How's that possible? Attending Oshkosh for 30 years and you're not a pilot? Whatever happened to cause and effect? Nothing rubbed off? You must be made of Teflon.