Thread: Cool Constellation Video

Cool Constellation Video

Air-to-Air shot out the back of a Skyvan. Rather different perspective on the Lockheed....

Ron Wanttaja

Super cool!!!

Back in the days when airline pilots made money, stewardesses were younger than your Grandmother and real airplanes had propellers.

Now about that Skybox or Skyvan or whatever it is called:
    I heard of two pilots talking once about their flying jobs. The Brit said he flew a Skyvan on late night runs, and the other pilot answered, "If I was that ugly I'd only fly at night also."

Banned
    Howard Hughes made many contributions to aviation. The development and financing of the Super Connie's originating version prototype and production models was one of his best.

About 12 years ago, a Super Connie stood on a northern boundary tarmac of Toronto International Airport where it was visible to all the traffic that passed it. Enterprising individuals purchased it, restored it and turned it into a restaurant right where it originally stood. Food was good for a novelty type restaurant but alas it only stayed in business for about 2 years. I believe it was sold to a museum.

Edit: Found an article and pixs about it. It ended up in Seattle, Ron.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/surviving_connies.htm
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 02-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.

There've been a number of airplane restaurants over the years. At Tri-County (now Erie) airport there used to be a Convair 990 as restaurant: http://chrisbaer.net/mp/2008/10/20/l...n-the-convair/

I see the Connie is on its own wheels and uses an airstair -- neat.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Howard Hughes made many contributions to aviation. The development and financing of the Super Connie's originating version prototype and production models was one of his best.

About 12 years ago, a Super Connie stood on a northern boundary tarmac of Toronto International Airport where it was visible to all the traffic that passed it. Enterprising individuals purchased it, restored it and turned it into a restaurant right where it originally stood. Food was good for a novelty type restaurant but alas it only stayed in business for about 2 years. I believe it was sold to a museum.

Edit: Found an article and pixs about it. It ended up in Seattle, Ron.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/surviving_connies.htm
    I see the Museum of Flight got it. It's in good company; the museum also has the Fly Baby prototype that I used to fly.

Ron Wanttaja