Thread: "A GATHERING OF EAGLES" the movie

"A GATHERING OF EAGLES" the movie

I don't know if this belongs in this Warbird Island thread section, but I didn't know where else to post this.

I am looking for a DVD of a movie titled: "A GATHERING OF EAGLES". Some of you may be familiar with it and perhaps can help me? It was a major motion picture, released to theater in the early 1960's. It starred Rock Hudson. It was about life in SAC during the days of the B-52.

I am looking for this movie in DVD format. I see it offered on Amazon.com and at times on eBay, but the movie is always in a foreign language. I don't know what's up with that??? I see that it is also appears at times on eBay in the old VHS tape format, but I can never find one in DVD format. UGH! Even Blue Ray disc would be OK if anyone knows of any.

I am about to just go ahead and buy a VHS tape copy from Amazon or eBay, but then I would also have to go out and buy a VCR to play it on. I no longer own a VCR as mine quit working ages ago and I never replaced it. Alternatively, a co-worker told me to just go ahead and buy the VHS tape version, and he could then convert it over to a DVD for me. But I'm not so sure this would work? Didn't those VHS tapes have some sort of copy proofing built in to them, to keep people from copying them?

Well if anyone has ever heard of this movie being available on DVD, IN ENGLISH, let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Rick G.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Great movie!

I don't believe there's ever been an official US / Region 1 DVD release - like you, the ones I've come across online are PAL and Region 2 at best. Granted, those will be in English, but if you don't have a region-free DVD player that also converts PAL to NTSC, you're out of luck.

Your best bet, beyond getting a VHS copy and a VCR, would be to look for a grey market version like this one:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/182328749

I've gotten a few films this way, but only titles like this one that are otherwise unavailable. And, if and when there's a proper release, I *always* buy the real thing when it comes out. And, while I've used IOffer a few times without any issues, I don't think I've ever bought from this individual seller, so you'll have to decide if you trust their ratings, etc.

- Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Banned
    Hal, thanks for letting me know about this ioffer site which I was unaware of. This has nothing to do with aircraft or aviation, but I've been looking for a DVD or VHS of the 1972 movie "The Heartbreak Kid" for literally decades(not the piece of crap 2007 remake with Ben Stiller). I did a search and it's available from multiple sellers on the site. It's one of my all-time favourites. I highly recommend it. Great comedy with the premise that the hunt is always far more exciting than the trophy, based on the Neil Simon play of the same name, superb cast, script and direction with the funniest break-up scene ever put on film.

Thanks again. My long searchquest has finally come to an end.

Glad to hear it, Floats! Interesting that your search for a movie about how the hunt is more exciting than the trophy...should take decades! I hope the movie is an exception to its own rule!

Anyway, as I said, I've found a few gems on iOffer - it's similar to the eBay model in that you're dealing with individual sellers and, so long as they've got decent feedback, you'll usually do okay.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Which reminds me; I've been meaning to search for and purchase a copy of Howard Hughes "Hells Angels." A classic I've yet to see and should've been in my video library a long time ago.

That one had a legitimate release about 10 years ago. Should be less than 10 bucks at Amazon or wherever.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor