Quote Originally Posted by EDGEFLY View Post
Kyle,

Sorry to have offended you by suggesting a concept 75 years old is perhaps still useful. There are some answers to your questions but since you are obviously not interested, I won't bother you with them. I don't recall having said that McDowells are "a great solution", "were more or at least as effective" as alternative starter systems, "that there is immediate market parts support availabile" nor that they are specifically preferable to any other approach. They are a part of Vintage aircraft history and I am satisfied that my own experience has been "fine". I do hope your malaise is lessening and that modern medicine leads to a complete recovery.

For others viewing this thread, let us proceed in a civil manner.

Dale
My question was legitimate and civil, and if you'll re-read it, I think you'll see that it is a very straight forward question - not internet bait or flame war material.

I have enough A-65's to build a B-17 replica and almost enough Aeronca carcasses to go with them. I would love a decent starter on any of them, but there aren't any viable options.

So the question remains, why did the McDowell starters fall out of favor and why haven't they been supported in decades?