Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun-n-Fun

Sun-n-Fun

Well, 25 years in a row at Oshkosh but never have been to Sun-n-Fun (well technically I was in Lakeland last year on Monday while people were arriving but left before the show started). When Margy was teaching it never lined up with her spring break. Well this year she's presenting (aerospace education) and I have to attend the ANS board meeting so we're going!

I compare SNF and Oshkosh to visiting San Francisco and New York City. They are both big cities and most everybody speaks the same language, but they are totally different experiences. Take a minute or two to visit the museum on the grounds - they did a great restoration of the Lockheed XFV-1 Pogo and they have a nice collection of Howard Hughes items. Usually Kermit's Hawker Tempest and P-63 are nearby as well and worth a walk around.

Zack

I am looking forward to my first trip there also this year, have attended every "Oshkosh" except two since 1984.......but never to Sun 'N Fun.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I have never been to either!! This year I will be at Oshkosh for sure, however i'm on the fence about SNF. My sister lives in Brandon, FL, so it makes it that much easier to be there. If I do go for one day, does anyone know 'the best' day to go?

If you live in Buffalo, the Sun-N-Fun is scheduled right about when we all have had enough of winter and are in serious need ot a taste of spring. Sun-N-Fun is more low key, intimate, and relaxed. On average, the temps are wonderful for a northerner. OSH is more of everything, more spread out, summer heat and thunderstorms, a bunch of non-aviation stuff, and more walking or running around. Both shows are great for their own reasons. But after a winter that featured a lot of days with single digit morning temps, Sun-N-Fun is a great get away. Come April, put the ocean on your left wing, the land on your right, and when the temp is into the low '70's, you'll find the show.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by pilotgirlbuf View Post
    I have never been to either!! This year I will be at Oshkosh for sure, however i'm on the fence about SNF. My sister lives in Brandon, FL, so it makes it that much easier to be there. If I do go for one day, does anyone know 'the best' day to go?
    Can't do it justice in a day. Would you go to OSH for one day. Thursday is sea plane day if that suits your fancy. But then the seaplanes are there other days too. Check the web site for forums of interest and show specials.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    If you live in Buffalo, the Sun-N-Fun is scheduled right about when we all have had enough of winter and are in serious need ot a taste of spring. Sun-N-Fun is more low key, intimate, and relaxed. On average, the temps are wonderful for a northerner. OSH is more of everything, more spread out, summer heat and thunderstorms, a bunch of non-aviation stuff, and more walking or running around. Both shows are great for their own reasons. But after a winter that featured a lot of days with single digit morning temps, Sun-N-Fun is a great get away. Come April, put the ocean on your left wing, the land on your right, and when the temp is into the low '70's, you'll find the show.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Watch the wiggle room around the (Class) B stuff if you do not have the (Mode) C stuff.

I have gone to both for the last 4 as well as sporadically in the past. I live in FL so it is easy for me to get to SNF but it is sort of like OSH light...not that that is necessarily a bad thing, it just isn't on quite the scale as OSH. I generally go with my Grandson to SNF for Friday Sat and Sun and we camp with the Plane. It has a lot of the same atmosphere just not all the bells and whistles but I love seeing aviation through my Grandson's eyes once in a while.

Mom still isn't quite ready for him to go all the way to OSH.
    Name:  Ooooh Yeah!.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  82.1 KB
    Still a great place for parts, looking at stuff and some of the same types of workshops.

You would enjoy it.

Rick
    Last edited by RickFE; 03-04-2014 at 07:25 PM.

One thing you should strongly consider doing is visiting Fantasy of Flight in Polk City. Kermit Weeks has created a beautiful facility with a lot of unique planes.

Unfortunately, it looks like attendance isn't what he's hoped for, and the facility will close to the general public on April 6.

see https://www.facebook.com/fantasyofflight

It will still be available for group events, but it looks like Kermit is going to concentrate on aircraft restoration there.

I really like the look of that Officer's Club he's made there, along with the exhibit of the WWII B-17 maintenance.

I've done Fantasy of Flight.