Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overhauling and updating a Cherokee or similar modest project

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    The interior parts I have ordered from AirTex, Plane Plastics and Knots2U is around $3500. I'm not sure what the total labor will be for all of the interior work.
    Well, it could be $0.00, since you can do all that yourself legally.

That is true, but since the mechanic will be removing and installing new windows along with removing a lot of the old interior to do the control cable inspection, I figured it would be easier to just let him reinstall the new stuff. The mechanics brother does interior work and from the reports I have gotten on the quality of his work, it will be better than what I could do. I will probably work with them some on the interior installation but it would be difficult for me to do it all, especially since we are changing out all of the windows too. The window cost was around $800. I forgot to add that in my previous post. I enjoy helping but my work schedule limits my spare time for doing this sort of thing.

You can replace the (side) windows yourself and you can remove all of the interior stuff to let him look at the control cables and then put it in afterwards. Says so right in Part 43. You may want to buy some of your mechanic's time to show you how to start and/or do the first one, but you can legally do the rest yourself and make a logbook entry.

I find that most mechanics are very happy to have the owner do the "monkey work" of taking stuff like interiors apart and put them back. Mechanics have valuable skills, but the stuff you are talking about is not high on their list of stuff that gives them job satisfaction.

And most mechanics are also happy to see an owner want to learn the basic skills from them. They feel better when they know that you want to take care of the machine.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    You can replace the (side) windows yourself
    I seem to remember something about at least some of the Cherokees that makes removing the windows a "complex" (legally) operation. I can't remember exactly what right now.

It has begun. They gutted my interior today.
    Attached Images Attached Images