Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhauling and updating a Cherokee or similar modest project

Save your time I will not export, it is a real PITA

Really, that's too bad, I have not heard that from the seller's point of view before, I assumed that the paperwork burden would fall on me.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Banned
    Tom & Matthew,

Tom, exporting an aircraft from and within North America is a relatively simple procedure. You can do it yourself, or better still, you can give the work to a company that specializes in exporting aircraft(there are many) and with your direction, have them charge those costs to the buyer.

Matthew, you are right about the importing paperwork, which for Kenya may be more complex? than for Canada and the US.

I have thought about restoring something like this, I have most of the necessary skills but finding an A&P/IA willing to supervise is not easy.

Matthew, Tom Downey does show quality work and has a long line of restored airplanes to his credit.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Matthew, Tom Downey does show quality work and has a long line of restored airplanes to his credit.
    It sure looks like it from the pics!
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Thanks Marty, this is the end of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    I would think that you could start with a time-worn but airworthy Piper Cherokee and then overhaul and update it so it's actually lighter and better performing than it came from the factory. I don't mean putting in glass panels or anything radical, just complete inspections and overhaul, a thorough tear-down and cleaning, new interior and exterior, new lightweight electronics to replace the boat-anchor period ones, removing unwanted IFR equipment for a basic modern VFR panel, lightweight starter and battery, etc. Of course, the mechanical bits would all need to be done and the whole project overseen by an A&P, but there is a lot of elbow grease work that I could do myself.
    You are describing pretty much what I have been doing. Some people enjoy restoring an old car but I prefered that it be an airplane. I purchased a low hour Piper Cherokee that was in reasonable flying condition but not a real 'looker'. The first two annual inspections we concentrated on getting the plane in first class shape mechanically. Last fall I gutted the radio stack and put in a PS Engineering 8000BT audio panel, Garmin com radio and Garmin transponder. This annual we will be doing the control cable inspection AD. This inspection will require a good portion of the interior be removed so I figured this was the perfect time to fully gut the interior and replace it with new leather seating, headliner, carpet and wall panels. I am still waiting for portions of the interior to arrive before we start. My mechanic wanted to wait until all of the parts and materials were on hand before gutting the plane. After I save up and recover from the interior, the final step will be to chemically strip and paint the plane. When that is complete my airplane should be in great shape.

For me it is fun going through the refurbishment process. I know in the long run it will probably cost a little more than buying a plane that has already been upgraded. The big difference for me is that I was able to pay cash for the plane and will be able to save up and pay cash for everything else I have done to it. When I get through I will have THE radio stack that I want, THE interior I want and THE paint scheme and colors I want and not have to live with something marginally close. The best part of all is that I will have done it without going into debt.

Keep in mind that in the long run you may have more money in the plane than you would if you bought someone elses already refurbished plane, but you can spread the cost out over as long a period of time as you need to refurbish it (other than required maintenance).

Thanks, Mick, how about some pics of your project and, if you don't mind, some numbers on initial cost, what you've put in and what you expect to put in to get the plane where you want it to be? Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Matthew, I have less than 20K in the initial invenstment for the airplane. The radio stack upgrade cost me $6500. I have attached before and after pictures of the radio stack. The interior parts I have ordered from AirTex, Plane Plastics and Knots2U is around $3500. I'm not sure what the total labor will be for all of the interior work. I can update that after this annual is complete.
    Here is a link to the interior I ordered:
    http://www.airtexinteriors.com/portf...per PA28 R200#
    Name:  Radios Old Cubby Hole.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  91.4 KBName:  Radios New On.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  92.4 KB
    Down the line, after I get most of my other checklist items done, I want to go back and take out the old com radio I kept for a backup and replace it with something like a Garmin 430W or whatever is current at that time.

After the interior is done I will come back and update this with before and after pictures.
    Last edited by MickYoumans; 02-24-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fix link