Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhauling and updating a Cherokee or similar modest project

Overhauling and updating a Cherokee or similar modest project

Much as I love homebuilts and vintage aircraft, a reality check of my budget suggest that I might want to tackle restoring and updating a modest 1960s-1970s GA aircraft, especially if I want to take more than one family member at a time or much baggage up in the air with me. Not that I will stop dreaming and perhaps buidling a single- or two-seater on the side, but that's another thread. ;-)

I would think that you could start with a time-worn but airworthy Piper Cherokee and then overhaul and update it so it's actually lighter and better performing than it came from the factory. I don't mean putting in glass panels or anything radical, just complete inspections and overhaul, a thorough tear-down and cleaning, new interior and exterior, new lightweight electronics to replace the boat-anchor period ones, removing unwanted IFR equipment for a basic modern VFR panel, lightweight starter and battery, etc. Of course, the mechanical bits would all need to be done and the whole project overseen by an A&P, but there is a lot of elbow grease work that I could do myself.

Does anyone have any links to sites or articles documenting this kind of restoration and update on a modest budget?
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Does anyone have any links to sites or articles documenting this kind of restoration and update on a modest budget?
    Define "modest budget."
    Restoring a 40 y/o factory airplane isn't cheap but in the end you get a known quantity. I haven't seen many end up "lighter" than before either, usually it's the opposite. But I agree with your overall assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Define "modest budget."
    Restoring a 40 y/o factory airplane isn't cheap but in the end you get a known quantity. I haven't seen many end up "lighter" than before either, usually it's the opposite. But I agree with your overall assessment.
    Here is what I did as the latest project, It's a 1948 Cessna rag wing 170. we bought it for $5k, and we are in it now at $27K, every thing is new, the aircraft was completely disassembled stripped repainted, new windows, new interior, new wiring, new wheels tires and brakes, PeePonk gear mod, tail pull handles, 1 piece windscreen, shoulder harness, new instrument panel, new radios, Engine up grade to a 0-300-D, with a vac pump, 60 Amp Alternator, 6 new cylinders, engine rebuilt to factory new spec. new carb, mounts, oil filter kit, new prop, Whelen 3 light strobe kit, landing light mod to leading edge and the light blinker mo
    .Name:  20140218_122715.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  95.7 KB
    Name:  20140218_122729.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN3801.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  90.4 KB
    Name:  20131130_120245.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  91.9 KB
    Name:  20131114_133924.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  92.8 KB
    we started with a derelict barn find.
    Name:  DSCN3268.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  84.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN3272.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  87.0 KB

new prop spinner
    Name:  20140224_115504.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  94.7 KB
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 02-24-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Looks fantastic, Tom. Sell it to me? Seriously!

On the restoration, are you (or one of the "we") an A&P or did you have to pay someone to do those parts of the restoration that require sign-off?
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Looks fantastic, Tom. Sell it to me? Seriously!

On the restoration, are you (or one of the "we") an A&P or did you have to pay someone to do those parts of the restoration that require sign-off?
    I am the A&P-IA, this is a "we" effort, the wife and I.
    We have decided to keep it for a while, gotta get a little flying out of all that work. It took 15 months Nov. 12 to Feb 14,

Ah, there's the rub, you clearly know how to do the things that 1) I can't do on a certified plane and 2) I don't know how to do, anyway. If you do decide to sell, please shoot me a PM--I really was not kidding. Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Find a good A&P, that will supervise your work and learn, I had to.

If you do decide to sell, please shoot me a PM--I really was not kidding. Cheers, Matthew
    Make me an offer. ?

Believe me, I would love to be doing just that. Unfortunately, I have a wife and three kids and a job that takes me from country to country around the world--neat in many ways but tough on aviation as a hobby. I'll have to do the crash course (not literally, I hope) once I retire. ;-)
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Make me an offer. ?
    I am not going to waste your time, so let me chat with some friends first and get back to you if I get a good reaction. We were considering going in on a plane together to have it shipped out hear to Kenya and a 170 like yours would be perfect for the hot and high conditions here, though I might remove the spinner for easier inspection. If you wouldn't mind PMing me some details (TTAF&E, TSMOH, etc.) I'll see what they say.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info