Thread: For all the gps nerds

For all the gps nerds

There is a funny story in the Jan issue of SPORT AVIATION that all you modern and younger pilots might get a kick out of.
    Well written by Dave Matheny, in one part the guys discover with amazement this navigation device that "used to be in airplanes" and "works without batteries," "probably powered by elves and fairies".

Can you guess what the mysterious device is? I have in one my airplanes, of course, and even have an old one that reminds one of a ship,a and works better than a new one.

Bill,

I love Dave's articles and this one deals with getting "weened" off the GPS. Keep in mind Dave's an Ultralight guy and flys "open air", the devise you speak of is a plain old wet compass...batteries not included (or needed)! These things still do work and if you want to mess with a student ask him/her what all that stuff on the little card means!!!

This months' article deals with a guy who failed to abort a take-off and wound up in the weeds...gets an 'A" for perseverance and a "F" for runway utilization!

Joe