Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable WWII warbirds?

Affordable WWII warbirds?

Random question...other than the L series of light liaison aircraft (Piper, Aeronca, Stinson, etc.) what are some other suggestions for affordable WWII warbirds from the USA or other Allied nations. By "affordable" I mean an aircraft in flying condition for under $100,000 and preferably $50,000--much as I'd love to have some "big iron" it's just out of my price range. A Cessna Bobcat comes to mind and some of the other light transports and trainers like the Fairchild PT-19/23 or a Tiger Moth. What I'd really like is a light aircraft with some sort of historical combat role, but so far the only thing I can think of is a civilian type that may have carried bombs depth charges on Civil Air Patrol anti-submarine duty. Is there anything I'm missing, some armed light aircraft of the era? Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Random question...other than the L series of light liaison aircraft (Piper, Aeronca, Stinson, etc.) what are some other suggestions for affordable WWII warbirds from the USA or other Allied nations. By "affordable" I mean an aircraft in flying condition for under $100,000 and preferably $50,000--much as I'd love to have some "big iron" it's just out of my price range. A Cessna Bobcat comes to mind and some of the other light transports and trainers like the Fairchild PT-19/23 or a Tiger Moth. What I'd really like is a light aircraft with some sort of historical combat role, but so far the only thing I can think of is a civilian type that may have carried bombs depth charges on Civil Air Patrol anti-submarine duty. Is there anything I'm missing, some armed light aircraft of the era? Cheers, Matthew
    I think the L-birds would qualify. After all, if you don't believe Bill Mauldin, who CAN you trust? :-)
    Name:  Mauldin - Plane.jpg
Views: 2696
Size:  57.9 KB

Ron Wanttaja
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There was Rosie the Rocketeer, the L-4 rigged with bazooka tubes, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. ;-)

Name:  Bazooka_Charlie.jpg
Views: 2528
Size:  45.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I think the L-birds would qualify. After all, if you don't believe Bill Mauldin, who CAN you trust? :-) Ron Wanttaja
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Fairchild 24 many served in the war effort. plus any of the PT series.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    There was Rosie the Rocketeer, the L-4 rigged with bazooka tubes, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. ;-)
    Then there was Frank Sinatra in "Cast a Giant Shadow," flying an Israeli L-4. When he's attacked by an Arab League fighter, he shoots back with a selzer bottle.

It does not end well.

If you're not hard-over on WWII, there's a post-war small aircraft with a documented combat record that would be affordable "Guns and Bombs" warbird: The O-200-powered Boekow/SAAB Bo-105. They were rigged up for ground support during the Biafran Civil War in the '60s.

THAT didn't end well, either.

These are available...had an EAA buddy here, once that had two of them. Anyway, a Dragonfly might make a pretty good replica.

Ron Wanttaja

O-2's carried marking rockets during VietNam as did L-19's. There are a couple of QU-22B projects out there. I know of a PO-2 project that is available. There are lots out there, you need to figure out what you want to do and how much you can spend first. Buying a flyer is going to be way more than a project, but if you don't like turning wrenches, it is going to have a big impact on what you can afford to buy and fly more than a few hours a year.

Thanks, all, I'd really prefer something WWII, a Po-2 is a great idea as they really were used in combat quite a bit, but after reading about the Shuttleworth Collection's multiyear saga restoring theirs, I would hesitate to tackle one.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

I have a friend with a beautiful Culver PT-14 that flies and most of the wooden parts/structure for another just sitting in his hangar. The PT-14 was orignally a drone for gunnery practice but bcame a piloted, fast ( 180 mph or more) aircraft with a Franklin engine. The Navy recognized it at the 100th anniversary show in San Diego. You would have to build the plane back up but it's a true WWII warbird and cheap. If interested, contact me and I'll give the owners phone in Big Bear, CA.

Here is a pic of the Culver PT-14.
    http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=65