Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning for 2015

Planning for 2015

I am getting all my ducks in a row for my pilgrimage to Airventure in 2015 and wanted to find out a few things. How much does it cost to stay at Camp Scholler for the week? and what should i bring? I'm traveling from Alaska and will be driving from Chicago so everything i bring will have to be checked bags friendly. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Derek Isbell
    EAA# 1083711
    Ketchikan, AK

Quote Originally Posted by D. Isbell View Post
    I am getting all my ducks in a row for my pilgrimage to Airventure in 2015 and wanted to find out a few things. How much does it cost to stay at Camp Scholler for the week? and what should i bring? I'm traveling from Alaska and will be driving from Chicago so everything i bring will have to be checked bags friendly. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    for 2014, camping is $25 per night for a basic campsite, 3 night minimum. You pay for the week up front. Since you'll have a car, I wouldn't try to bring too much stuff. Anything you don't have can be picked up from WalMart right down the road. There is also a WalMart you'll pass in Fond du Lac, from chicago you'll also drive past a Gander Mountain.
    Last edited by martymayes; 02-11-2014 at 05:58 PM.

...and a Cabela's...you can't miss it as it sits right in the center of the freeway split north of Milwaukee...

Regards

Welcome, I live between Chicago & Oshkosh, if I can be of help give a shout. I know planning is good, I've also done trips on the fly, they've usually worked out well.

I'd do some research of the businesses between Chicago & Oshkosh- Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabelas, Gndr Mtn, etc., and plan to stop during your drive from Chicago to Oshkosh. Purchase whatever camping supplies you may need; tent, definitely an air mattress, etc. Then at the conclusion of the week of the items that are too large/heavy to take back home w/you, go to a UPS Store and ship the stuff home.

You can also check on shipping items to a Post Office or UPS store in the area and it'll be there waiting for you on whatever specific date you determine. Good thing is; you have a year to plan!

Can I assume that you are already a camper? If so, Airventure camping is about as benign as camping can get, whether you're at Scholler or out with the airplanes. Oshkosh can be really hot (over 100F 2 summers ago), really wet ("sloshkosh" 3 summers ago), or pretty chilly (last summer). You can almost guarantee a T-storm or two during the week, and Wisconsin T-storms are a sight to behold, with lots of wind, lots of rain. So a good, weather-resistant tent is a good thing.

But supplies can be minimal, as there are grocery stores, Target, and Walmart nearby, and the on-site vendors provide pretty acceptable food. If you choose, you can get by without bringing any food at all.

Porta-potties and showers are handy to all the camping areas, so being olfactorily acceptable to those downwind of you is easy. There's a nice laundromat just off the field to the north, if you don't bring enough clothes for the week.

There's a lot of walking, even with the trams and buses, so good shoes, well broken in, are advisable. A hat is essential for most, as are sunglasses. SPF 30 or 40 or 50 sunscreen is good to have--and use (don't ask me how I know). High SPF lip balm is a good idea, also. I always carry a water bottle, although there is plenty to drink from vendors, and there are a few water fountains, too.

And bring money.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Lots of money...

For things you never imagined that you would ever want or need…but there you are.

If I bring a small tent for my wife and me, and a small one for the kids, do I have to pay for two campsites?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by sr2500 View Post
    If I bring a small tent for my wife and me, and a small one for the kids, do I have to pay for two campsites?
    The camp Scholler guidelines say: "Only one tent or camper and one vehicle per 20’ x 30’ site are allowed"

I guess if you follow a strict interpretation of the guidelines, you should pay for two campsites. However, a large number of campers set up multiple 'tents' on one site. Since you are all in the same family, I don't see a problem with your plan. Obviously, multiple families camping on a single campsite is what they are trying to discourage.

Quote Originally Posted by sr2500 View Post
    Thanks,
    Jerry

No, as Marty mentioned that rule isn't enforced. The South African compound would be a good example of getting the most density of tents/people per site. As long as you're just using the typical sized camp site and there are no safety issues with how you set things up, you'll be fine.

I've got two fairly large tents that I've had set up in past years. One for me and the wife and the other for my son and daughter-in-law.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler