Thread: Some incredible COLOR footage of the B-29 "Bockscar" and the Nagasaki mission!

Some incredible COLOR footage of the B-29 "Bockscar" and the Nagasaki mission!

Amazing footage.Question, it appears the B-29 is backing up under it's own power. Did the B-29 have reversible props? Or is there a tow out of view somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    Amazing footage.Question, it appears the B-29 is backing up under it's own power. Did the B-29 have reversible props? Or is there a tow out of view somewhere?
    As I understand it, the Silverplate B-29s were equipped with Curtiss Electric reversible pitch propellers instead of the regular Hamilton Standard units, so yes, they could indeed back up under their own power!

I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info Zack!

Watch the video closely of the B-29 backing up. There is a group of guys up front there by the nose wheels, physically "steering" the nose wheels by hand, probably through the use of some sort of crow bar or lever. B-29's did not have any controls in the cockpit for "steerable" nose wheels.

If memory serves, I think a steerable nose wheel system was later introduced on the upgraded versions of the B-29 known as the B-50, which was then also applied to use on the subsequent C-97 / KC-97 / and Stratocruiser airliner.

Rick G.