Thread: Old man winter

Old man winter

Those folks up on Canada could be nice and send us a Lancaster or maybe Paulina Gretsky, but instead they have sent us a big cold front.
    Here in Boulder it was 5* Below 0 F last night, worse out east of north, minus 25 in Kansas City.
    The good news from W Yellowstone, Mt. is that there is no wind, the bad news is it is minus 42* F below zero. And it is warmer in ski country, Aspen was 12* and that is on the right side of 0 F.
    I just saw a piece on cold weather flying on another site.
    How long till Sun N Fun?

You sound depressed?! A retired USAF friend is a ski instructor in the winter and comes to Vermont to fly aerobatic competition in the summer described this year's Colorado snow as "epic"! Sounds like he is having a great season. Invited me out but I unfortunately can't take him up on the offer.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I always blame our Canadian friends up north when we get those nasty cold fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    I always blame our Canadian friends up north when we get those nasty cold fronts.
    Blame Canada! http://www.youtube.com/embed/bOR38552MJA

Wes, you are so right about the snow at least in western Colorado, Ski conditions are perfect. If you know anyone that is a skier they ought to get out to Aspen ASAP. They could even go to one of the other places out here, even Vail. 2nd best is not so bad.
    I am almost ashamed to admit that I have only skied a little this year. Some years back, as the song says, "when I wore a younger man's clothes" or in my case " a younger man's knees", I used to ski race a lot, after a fashion and it was probably the most fun sport I have ever done. I'd put it above playing football in Texas, and even flying a fighter plane which is also consuming and invigorating, and a lot easier than ski racing.

I was decent, in my day, as much , as one who was born in Texas and grew up there can be, and I miss it, especailly now that the Olymipics will be on TV. I don't know much about trick skiing, but I loved downhill racing. There is nothing like 70mph down a slippery slope to focus one's attention! A guy I used to ski with, who's sister coached my Son, was Bode Miller's ski coach on the world cup circuit a few years back. Another former racing companion's Son last year won a big downhill race on the Europa Cup circuit which is one notch below the top.

Flying is a heck of a lot easier and you don't need two good knees to do it.Flying is of course more mental, anyone can move a control stick or push a rudder, and the trick is knowing when and where to do it. Flying is more satisfaction and less adrenlan usless one is racing at Reno perhaps. Adrenlan and even fear is a part of ski racing, especially downhill racing, and just the right amount makes you fully alive. In flying a big dose of adrenlin means you have probably done something dumb and gotten yourself into a bad situation.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-06-2014 at 01:36 PM.

No joke it was cold yesterday, the paper says Boulder's all time low for the peak high temp of the day is 6* F and we tied that, but unoffically and what I saw on the car thermometer was 4*
    Today the sun is out and it looks warmer but still 7* at 4 pm.

We may have gotten a bad cold front, but at least it wasn't a nutty prank from Rainbow Dash! XD Now THAT would have been nasty!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post

Quid Pro Quo. We blame Americans for sending up the "Colorado Lows" that dump so much freekin snow on us.

If the EAA's Young Eagles will be in either Minden or Carson City, and my dad doesn't come home this Saturday, then I can't go to the event. Besides, flying in a snowstorm is like skydiving in a massive amount of fog; you don't know how far up you are.