Great points from a Crusty, old Aviator. I too have conducted research (and spent more time on this critical matter than I should have) and assembled the data in a cogent manner. At least it was cogent last night before the last Sam Adams.

The FAA certifies Pilots as per the wording on the issued cerificates. The FAA further recognizes "dedicated service, expertise, etc, etc" by awarding a "W. Bros Master Pilot Award. The airlines employ Pilots. Unions organize Pilots.

The USAF uses Pilots. I'm not sure, but I think these were Army Aviators prior to 1947.

The Army has Army Aviators, both Commisioned and Warrant Officers. However, some unit's Tables of Organization & Equip. (TO&Es) state "position requires a RW pilot, rank: WO".

USN, USMC & USCG have Naval Aviators. That said, I met a USN LT some years ago who was a Naval Aviator. He told me that he started as a NAP. That stands for Naval Aviation Pilot. They were called Flying Chiefs. USMC also had flying Sargeants. My company once employed a former Marine in a non flight assignment. Ski started as a SBD gunner in the Cactus Air Force before going on to flight school. He finished carrier quals (SBD) as the war ended. Flying Sgt.

One night in 1959, when I was a young Camp Lejeune Marine, my unit suddenly loaded up on USMC R4Qs. (C-119) Destination unknown. But we were told that we could bring back all the Cigars we could carry. We chatted with the crew while we waited for engine start. Both pilots were Sgts, Flt Eng was a CPL and Navigator was a PFC. We unloaded and went home after a couple of hours.

Bob
Certificated Air Equipment Operator