Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Licenses vs. Certificates, Aviators vs. Pilots, This vs. That

Licenses vs. Certificates, Aviators vs. Pilots, This vs. That

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    PPL = Private Pilot License, American's use a lot of abbrevations.

Joe
    The FAA does not issue pilot licenses. A person can't even apply for a USA pilot license. See "FAA Form 8710-1, Airman Certification And/or Rating Application." The FAA issues pilot certificates because USA pilots are certificated, not licensed. Interesting stories behind WHY, some of them might even be partly true. But fact remains. No such thing as a USA, FAA-issued, private pilot license. Today's worthless trivia lesson thus endeth. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    The FAA does not issue pilot licenses. A person can't even apply for a USA pilot license. See "FAA Form 8710-1, Airman Certification And/or Rating Application." The FAA issues pilot certificates because USA pilots are certificated, not licensed. Interesting stories behind WHY, some of them might even be partly true. But fact remains. No such thing as a USA, FAA-issued, private pilot license. Today's worthless trivia lesson thus endeth. You're welcome.
    What if the acronym PPL = Private Pilot Land ???

carry on......

I'd go with-Private Pilots Legit .

All these years I have thought I had a Pilot's License, now we are informed that is really is a Pilot certificate. Man, I am sure glad that we got that major point corrected. But I will probably lay awake all night tonight with worry about the difference.

And I think I may have filled out some forms 8710 for acrobatic renewals, but now I am worried about whether it is called acrobatic or aerobatic. Next time I'm inverted I will probably freeze with indecision about whether I have a rating or a certificate or a license or any of them. In my simple minded ignorance all these years I thought all I needed to get upright again was to keep the aileron in or some back pressure.

And to think all these years I have flown happily in ignorance.

We have a ton of snow now, probably the most I can remember, it is waist deep on my deck. I was thinking about going skiing, if I could even get out and to the mountain, but now I am hesitant to go until I decide if the operator is Aspen Ski Co, or Aspen Skiing Co.

Somewhere I have 2 kinds of Broker licenses. I'd better spend the day wondering if I was a stock broker or an investment broker or a securities broker?

The vital and critical information that one can gain on these forums is rare indeed
    And did you know that after all the hoopla about Pres. Obama not really having a Hawaii "Birth Certificate" is probably true, though not in the same way as the nut case right wingers claim. If his Hawaii one is like my Texas one it actually says "Certificate of Live Birth".
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-31-2014 at 11:13 PM.

I'm with you Bill. I don't know (or care) whether I have a license, certificate or "ticket". A clue to ACROBATIC vs AEROBATIC is in the title to FAR 23. FAA uses acrobatic. Now all I have to sort out is do I break ground and fly into the wind or do it some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    All these years I have thought I had a Pilot's License...all these years I have flown happily in ignorance.
    I didn't mean to call anyone ignorant. That green plastic card we carry while flying which says "certificate" on the front has a "signature" block on the back. We all read important legal documents before we sign. Y'all DID sign it, right?

American aviation pioneers refused to accept state licensing because it was too restrictive. They insisted on recognition of international rights as accorded to mariners. So we have certificates to exercise rights, not licenses for limited privileges, and the PIC is called "Captain." The passengers have "tickets".

http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/cate...l#.UuvjUvs4OX5

Today's worthless trivia lesson thus endeth. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Mike M; 01-31-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    I didn't mean to call anyone ignorant. That green plastic card we carry while flying which says "certificate" on the front has a "signature" block on the back. We all read important legal documents before we sign. Y'all DID sign it, right?

American aviation pioneers refused to accept state licensing because it was too restrictive. They insisted on recognition of international rights as accorded to mariners. So we have certificates to exercise rights, not licenses for limited privileges, and the PIC is called "Captain." The passengers have "tickets".

http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/cate...l#.UuvjUvs4OX5

Today's worthless trivia lesson thus endeth. You're welcome.
    I knew there was a difference, but I couldn't have told you the difference. Thanks Cdr, I enjoyed reading that.

Cdr. You are Correct! It is a certificate, not a license I just pulled mine out of my wallet and even though its now a plastic one, I can still read it. The "new" plastic version is not wearing well, the big bold printing along the top is mostly rubbed-off, but the certificate number is clear along with "Private Pilot" and "Airplane Single Engine Land". I don't have a bunch of "ratings" so is it correct to use abbr. like CFI, CFII, or MEI in conversation?

Joe

so is it correct to use abbr. like CFI, CFII, or MEI in conversation?
    Yes, although CFII is frequently pronounced, "Double eye."

Larry N.

When someone with a non-flying background asks me if I have a Pilots License, which they always do, I find it a lot easier to simply say yes. Not once have I been asked if I possess a Certificate. Anyhow, I know the difference. But to a lot of people that difference doesn't matter.