Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: West Michigan airports enroute OSH ?

I was just commenting on the guy with the rental plane than ran out of fuel. Fuel issues seem to be one of the top reasons engines quit flying. You would think pilots would eliminate that as a possibility. I realize the vast majority do.

It takes an aircraft carrier a long time to stop too. That being the case, they still have procedures to attempt pickup of a sailor overboard.

When I stop at Muskegon/MKG for fuel, I normal climb out north/northwest, and end up at altitude just off Ludington/LDM, which is near the narrowest point of Lake Michigan. This allows enough time to climb out and still have glide distance to the shore, and also allows us to get pointed in the right direction toward OSH. (look at chart) Flotation devices do not work very well unless they are attached to you, so we put them on (inflatable, but not inflated) before we leave MKG.

For trip planning I called Executive Air at MKG/Muskegon, MI. They have a .15 off per gallon discount for Oshkosh travelers stopping in and no landing fees. Mention you are traveling to Oshkosh and heard about the discount. I talked to Ken. While they were fueling we went next door to the terminal to eat. Great restaurant called the Brownstone. They had a courtesy vehicle available also if we wanted to go eat offsite, but we were on a time schedule. Didn't stay the night this time since we were trying to beat the weather. Quick stop to top off plane and out stomach. Great service and facility.

Stopped again at MKG (Muskegon, MI) while enroute to OSH. Topped off before crossing Lake Michigan. They are advertising a .25/gallon discount. They have a prize wheel you spin with fuel purchase. Got an additional .30/gallon discount. .55/Gallon off! Not sure what the other prizes were though. Free fuel?? LOL Not with my luck. The Brownstone Restaurant in the terminal was as good and fast as usual. Great quick stop without delays.