Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West Michigan airports enroute OSH ?

Big Rapids (RQB) is a good choice, because the fuel is cheaper than Ludington. It's a little ways inland so it gives you a chance to gain altitude before you get to the lake.

For you guys who cross the lake, do you wear a life vest or just hope you don't need one? What altitude do you fly? How far is the normal route across? Do you lose sight of land? Is there a freqeuncy for lake watch flight following?

Thanks for the info. I go around the lake, used to be on a swim team as a kid, but that was a long time ago and in warmer water. I have done a mile swim in a lake,but would be really hard to do now.
    I have flown to Bahamas in both T-34 and Bonanza, and had life vests and of course it was in summer. Still, didn't like that part over the water much. think it was about 75 miles.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.

1. No
    2. 10,000'
    3. 77nm on the route I take
    4. Not if the visibility is good.
    5. Don't know, but I usually talk to Chicago Center and Milwaukee Approach

Oh, and I fly a twin. Don't think that I would do it single engine piston.

I cross at Ludington which is about 43 NM. My wife and I wear the life vest that inflate pulling the cord which inflates the vest with a CO2 cartridge. They are designed for aircraft and very comfortable to wear. There is a special frequency for crossing the lake VFR but I always file IFR so am talking to ATC anyway.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    For you guys who cross the lake, do you wear a life vest or just hope you don't need one? What altitude do you fly? How far is the normal route across? Do you lose sight of land? Is there a freqeuncy for lake watch flight following?
    I have crossed the lake more than 400 times. Yes, with an inflatable life vest on, also carry a raft. I like 10,000 west bound and 11,000 east bound, but I no longer have my Bonanza, so will have to use lower altitudes in my little Cherokee.

On clear days you do not lose sight of land. There is a lake reporting frequency, but I almost always go IFR and have never used it.

I've gone over as high as possible without oxygen,and within reason, 11,500' Eastbound. There was about 25 miles in the middle where I couldn't glide back to shore. I did have a life preserver quickly available. I did see a few ships near the middle.

I may of eluded to the fact that the Chicago lakefront isn't teeming with choice landing spots either. The beach will be packed on a Summer day. There was a guy crossing lake MI a handful of years ago who went down, he ran out of fuel. He made a phone call then perished as the plane sank.

Years ago an older couple were flying back to Michigan from a west coast trip. They were in a Mooney 231, which probably cruises about 200 mph and burns 13 gph, just a guess as I flew a 201. Anyway the 231 is fast and efficient, up high. It probably held 75 gallons, not sure.
    They stopped for lunch in Aspen and filled up fuel.
    There next stop was IN Lake Michigan. They ran out of fuel, glided down, and landed ok, and were able to get out of the plane. I don't think they had any vests or a raft, but they lived, I think a boat saw them go down and picked them up.
    They would have flown over a lot of places to refuel on the way to the lake. I guess they were on an IFR flight plan and did not want to descend to refuel.
    I have once almost run out of fuel, ran a tank dry in a T-34 and the engine quit and I glided down to land on the airport where I found I had less than 5 gal left in the other tank. About 5 factors went into this happening, one of which was that the Mooney 201 that I was used to flying had both more speed and more fuel and more range. I am glad I was not over a lake. One of the best things about a M 201 is range, it holds 64 gal, and burns less than 10 in cruise at about 155 knots and thus you fill it up and unless you personally have a long range bladder you will need to stop before the plane does.

The most foolish I have heard is one year we were going to Sun N Fun from the west. There was a cold front all the way from Canada to the Gulf blocking flight east. You could not get past Miss vfr. Some guys in T-28s went around the south end of the front and about 50 miles out in the gulf to take a short cut around to Florida. No extra fuel, no life vests or raft, but they made it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-19-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Hence why the thread is asking for a fuel stop recommendation in MI near the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    I've gone over as high as possible without oxygen,and within reason, 11,500' Eastbound. There was about 25 miles in the middle where I couldn't glide back to shore. I did have a life preserver quickly available. I did see a few ships near the middle.

I may of eluded to the fact that the Chicago lakefront isn't teeming with choice landing spots either. The beach will be packed on a Summer day. There was a guy crossing lake MI a handful of years ago who went down, he ran out of fuel. He made a phone call then perished as the plane sank.
    I believe you are thinking of a Cessna 182 that went into the lake near Milwaukee at night. He called 911, but there was no way to help.

Having a life preserver "quickly available" may not be enough. Wear an inflatable, and don't inflate inside the airplane. And ships on Lake Michigan may not be able to help. They take miles and miles to slow and stop, if they DO see you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    I believe you are thinking of a Cessna 182 that went into the lake near Milwaukee at night. He called 911, but there was no way to help.
    Or he may be thinking about a Cherokee, ref: CHI05FA180, N5360F, 04/25/2005, which ditched into the lake approx. 6 miles off the coast from Milwaukee after exhausting all fuel on board.

"At 2345:03 CDT, the pilot used his mobile phone to call 911 after ditching in Lake Michigan. During the 911 conversation the pilot reported that the airplane had run out of fuel, he did not have any flotation equipment and he knew how to swim."

Plane was found but the pilot's body was never recovered.