Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attn: AirVenture Oshkosh Campers!

Relative newcomers to the Oshkosh/Camp Scholler fiesta...We have attended 5 of the last six years. We missed last year due to me taking a new job. Well, I have taken another...this time it looks like I will be in Iowa this summer...but I am going to the big show somehow...

The first year Deb and I only spent 3 days at Oshkosh and stayed in a hotel 35 miles away. After having a great time we made a decision to do the whole week thing and camp in Scholler. We bought a new Fifth Wheel and headed for Oshkosh early enough to arrive on Sunday. Beginning with "Sloshkosh", we made our arrival on Friday before the show. That year we lucked out and were one of the very last people allowed into the campground due to flooding. We had purchased an electric/water site and found a high and dry site right next to Elm...we had a great time despite the water...

Like Jfred's dad, we actually have a blast riding our scooters around Scholler checking out the camping crowd. Hopefully it will work out so we can do some Scholler camping this year...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jfred65 View Post
    People have told me "you'll go until you die". WRONG! my kids are under orders to spread my ashes on the grounds of Oshkosh, just so I can be there even when I'm dead.

Oshkosh is heaven on earth.
    It would be interesting to know how many EAA members have discretely become permanent residents of Winnebago County over the years that way.

I guess that gives a new meaning to the Dead Grass award,
    Last edited by PaulDow; 02-10-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added more funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many EAA members have discretely become permanent residents of Winnebago County over the years that way.

I guess that gives a new meaning to the Dead Grass award,
    I may or may not know one.... Dad was a Century Club Member, Lifetime Member, and nobody in our family ever missed a convention in Oshkosh since 1970. In his final months, every day he woke up he was "going out on the line" at Oshkosh. Rather than a formal burial we dedicated a brick in his honor on Compass hill. We gather there every year to celebrate the passion for flight that he instilled in us all. He was eternally "Oshkosh Bound"...

I started to attend Oshkosh in 1974. It all started with a drive for a "day" visit. Fortunately we lived only 2 hours from there and eventually drove back and forth for both days of the weekend. Later on I started to camp in a small pup-tent in a private area near the old tower. At that time there were a lot of homes almost on the flight line on the north end of the airport. In 1980, the love of my life and I spent our honeymoon in Camp Scholler in a pup-tent. Almost everything was done in a "Horizontal" attitude including, but not limited to getting dressed. Mowed hay, corn fields, ponds, cold showers, the mall were all part of the daily routine. Our oldest daughter was about ten weeks old when she first attended Oshkosh and our youngest daughter was about five months old for her first. I started one day at a time, went to long weekends, then stayed the week and now weget there to set up befor the show starts and stay to the last Sunday. We have made it a "family" tradition. We have seen a lot of changes over the years but the one thing that has never changed is the interaction with the people. EAA Oshkosh is not just about the airplanes, but rather about airplane people. We have people that we now camp with that the only time we see each other is at Camp Scholler for up to one week a year. We attend every year and certainly have seen both the best and the worst. We would not have given up any of it to miss the "Oshkosh experience". There is always room at our campfire for anyone to join us and talk about the days events or just a lot of aviation-related nonsense. You may not leave smarter than you came, but you will be entertained. See you there!!