Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attn: AirVenture Oshkosh Campers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    I have been going there since 1974. Never worried about security or theft. I am sure it may occur, but I have never heard of it. Last year I left iPad and smart phone charging for hours out in the open without concern.
    OSH is what Disney aspires to be. It is the true magic kingdom, he happiest place on earth. Its denizens are aviators, which for some reason, inspires their better angels.

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    OSH is what Disney aspires to be. It is the true magic kingdom, he happiest place on earth. Its denizens are aviators, which for some reason, inspires their better angels.
    Well put.

OSH is my happy place. For 32 years, I have moved heaven and earth to attend. It has not been easy.

Births, deaths, weddings, four different businesses -- all have been subordinated to Oshkosh for one week per year. When we hire employees, one of our interview questions is "Can you work full time the last week of July?". A negative answer is disqualifying.

I meet a lot of pilots in my business, and I am always amazed when I meet one who has never attended the convention. IMHO it is the quintessential piloting experience.

Someday Mary and I will be retired, and we plan to volunteer. I can't wait!
    :-)

Hal, I attended my first "Oshkosh" in 1984 and have only missed 2 since, all of them attending from my home state of Arizona. It started out as a reunion of sorts with an old college friend who led me down an airport road in Southern Illinois for my first airplane lesson in 1970. We have been meeting there ever since. After my son was born I took him to his first "Oshkosh" when he was 5 in 1997, pulling him around in a wagon. He is now 6'4" and has attended with me every year since. I have volunteered every year for about the past 10, in KidVenture, Protect Our Planes, but mostly in the campground either parking campers or working in the Camper Locator Shack. My son started volunteering with me 5 or 6 years ago. We bought a brick at the arch that says "Oshkosh volunteers, like father, like son." My most memorable year was "Sploshkosh" riding around in the mud on my own scooter since there were not enough Gators to go around that year for the volunteers. I am still chipping Oshkosh mud off that bike! This year I hope to fly in for the first time with my son in my recently completed RV-9A. Regards, Glenn
    Last edited by gbrasch; 02-02-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post

I meet a lot of pilots in my business, and I am always amazed when I meet one who has never attended the convention. IMHO it is the quintessential piloting experience.

:-)
    Last year, I talked one of my best friends into attending. He is a very seasoned aviator, having been one of the Navy's Chief Test Pilots. He was truly like a kid in a candy store. Half of my fun was watching the amazement on his face as we explored OSH. This year, the fun is watching him plan and recruit others for this years expedition to OSH.

Like any other campsite, ours has evolved quite a bit over the years. My son and I have become part of a group from central Indiana. We send a truck and trailer full our gear up the Wednesday before to secure a spot, usually somewhere near the South African encampment. We've gone from a few trailers and tents to several campsites next to each other, complete with two large canopies, a large grille, several generators, a sink with running water, ceiling fans, a freezer, electronics charging station, and a fire pit surrounded by plenty of chairs. Each day is started with a hot meal from the grille with chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream a favorite. The inhabitants that filter through during week are quite diversified in all aspects. We have people aspiring to get the coveted Private Certificate when they are old enough and ones who have completed their time behind the controls. We have non pilots, veterans who have flown a B-36, an engineer who helped build Skylab, a flight test engineer from the C-17 program, a female T-6 and C-340 pilot with P-51 time and one who has attended almost every convention since Rockford. These people come from Indiana, California, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Michigan, Texas, and Australia. The day ends with a circle of chairs around the campfire and a beverage. Any and everyone is invited to join in, one night four F-15 pilots from the MASS ANG stopped by. We try to maintain a PG atmosphere so some of the stories get bleeped or edited. Every year the campsite grows in size, comforts, and diversity and like everyone else, we can't wait for July.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stummers View Post
    Like any other campsite, ours has evolved quite a bit over the years. My son and I have become part of a group from central Indiana. We send a truck and trailer full our gear up the Wednesday before to secure a spot, usually somewhere near the South African encampment. We've gone from a few trailers and tents to several campsites next to each other, complete with two large canopies, a large grille, several generators, a sink with running water, ceiling fans, a freezer, electronics charging station, and a fire pit surrounded by plenty of chairs. Each day is started with a hot meal from the grille with chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream a favorite. The inhabitants that filter through during week are quite diversified in all aspects. We have people aspiring to get the coveted Private Certificate when they are old enough and ones who have completed their time behind the controls. We have non pilots, veterans who have flown a B-36, an engineer who helped build Skylab, a flight test engineer from the C-17 program, a female T-6 and C-340 pilot with P-51 time and one who has attended almost every convention since Rockford. These people come from Indiana, California, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Michigan, Texas, and Australia. The day ends with a circle of chairs around the campfire and a beverage. Any and everyone is invited to join in, one night four F-15 pilots from the MASS ANG stopped by. We try to maintain a PG atmosphere so some of the stories get bleeped or edited. Every year the campsite grows in size, comforts, and diversity and like everyone else, we can't wait for July.
    I've never stepped into Scholler, never had a reason to since I/we don't camp. We rough it in a nice hotel, we like our creature comforts. However, your site as you've described sounds like a lotta fun with nice, interesting people and a cool place to hang out. If it's OK with you I'd like to visit one night. Could you please provide simple coordinates. Thanks.

BTW, we're Canadian, we'll fit right in with the SA's and Aussies, being from the Commonwealth and all that.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 02-06-2014 at 07:45 PM.

I can't speak for Stummers, but I know at the RV-10 HQ and most camp sites at Scholler, if you show up with a six pack of your favorite beverage, you'll be welcomed. Especially if it's your favorite beer from home. The large dinners hosted at the RV-10 HQ have had folks show up that aren't RV-10 builders and they were welcomed. It usually doesn't take much effort to make friends at Camp Scholler. That's the value that most people miss when they stay in hotels. There are places that will rent trailers and deliver them for you at the camp. The thing I enjoyed about camping was not having to deal with that morning traffic jam coming into the grounds.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Hi Floatsflyer, we usually don't know exactly where we will be until our advance group gets there, often its around 40th and Elm st. I have to agree with rleffler, showing up at ours, or most other campsites with a six pack and or a smile you will be more than welcome.

Name:  DSC_9695.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  93.6 KBName:  DSC_9069.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  89.0 KBName:  DSC_9595.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  97.1 KBName:  DSC_9600.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  96.0 KB
    A shot of one our home made amenities, a choice of light or dark beer, along with our group. Our international grille crew, Zak from Indianapolis and Greg from Australia.
    Last edited by stummers; 02-07-2014 at 10:50 AM.

I started going to Oshkosh in '91. I slept in my fiero, couldn't even lay down! In '95 I upgraded to a pup tent and learned never, ever, forget the sunblock. A few years later we upgraded to a pop-up camper. Last year we brought a camper with slide-outs. My dad actually comes every year more to wander the campground and look at everybody else's rigs.
    When I first started coming, it was for the day or two Every few years we decided an extra day would be nice. For the last six years, we come on Saturday before the show starts, mostly because we have waited 356 days and can't wait one more!
    I have always camped out by the tree at cedar and stits. We could be closer, but being able to sit out each morning and evening and watch ultralights fly overhead is part of the experience.
    I work part time at a liquor store (money for Oshkosh vacations). Almost ten years ago, a guy walks in and see's my Sport Aviation on the counter. He asks if I go to Oshkosh. "you bet!" Turns out we had camped about two rows apart. Now we camp next to each other and have become good friends, and get together all year. He keeps threatening to run for Mayor of Camp Scholler every year.
    When you camp in the same spot every year, you start to get to know the neighbors. It is a reunion with the best people on earth. We all help each other out after the inevitable wind storm.
    I can completely relate to the job situation. I have quit jobs and refused jobs because I couldn't get that week off. People have told me "you'll go until you die". WRONG! my kids are under orders to spread my ashes on the grounds of Oshkosh, just so I can be there even when I'm dead.

Oshkosh is heaven on earth.