Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the EAA grounds open to the public on Sunday, July 27, 2014?

Goggles Are the EAA grounds open to the public on Sunday, July 27, 2014?

I'm planning on coming up to OSH this year. I will be driving to Wis, since I lived there most of my life and have lots of friends and relatives scattered around the state having a car is a bit more practical then flying into AirVenture. When I first started coming to the "Fly-In" (1989) I lived about an hours drive away and in those days the event started on Sunday. My question is simple, can I arrive at the gate on Sunday morning and spend some time watching "arrivals" and getting familiar with this years' layout? I'm not concerned if there is a "fee" regarding entering the grounds and parking, I'm just trying to plan this trip. At this point I'm planning on driving to Kenosha on Sat and spending Sat night there, I will hit AirVenture for 3 days from Monday thru Wednesday and will stay in the Hartford/Slinger area during that time frame. At this point Sunday is open and I could head-up to OSH then or bum around Waukesha were I lived for 17 years...lots of friends and neighbors there.

Joe

We usually arrive on Saturday and camp in Scholler. Go down to the flight line to watch the mass arrivals on the weekend. It is much more leisure and less hectic than on Monday after the show starts. Please be aware that none of the displays are open and a lot of construction still going on though. Hope this helps...

Your MONDAY 28th wristband gets you in SUNDAY 27th.

Prior to that you pretty much can walk in during daylight without worrying about credentials.

Thanks Guys!,

I haven't been up to AirVenture in a few years but I have kept up via the web cams and our club treasurer who flies in every year and camps for the week. I will probably hook-up with him and maybe volunteer a bit as well. There is always plenty to see and do but I get fried-out by the end of the day. Loved to check-out the building exhibits and new aircraft displays and I always check the forum schedule. I'm already getting pumped-up and it's still about 4 months away!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Your MONDAY 28th wristband gets you in SUNDAY 27th.

Prior to that you pretty much can walk in during daylight without worrying about credentials.
    Several years ago we drove in on the Saturday before. They would not let us in if we didn't have a plane on the grounds or exhibitor badges.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Several years ago we drove in on the Saturday before. They would not let us in if we didn't have a plane on the grounds or exhibitor badges.
    I've had no problem getting on the grounds the Wednesday through Saturday before the show with no credentials from Camp Scholler. I do not know about other ways to access the field.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Ditto, from Tuesday before the show through the tower gate has never been a problem. Much of the arrival show is on the Friday and Saturday, before av officially starts.
    Cheers,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I've had no problem getting on the grounds the Wednesday through Saturday before the show with no credentials from Camp Scholler. I do not know about other ways to access the field.
    Well, at least from the parking lot just outside the main gate, they would not let us in.

Makes perfect sense that if you're already on the grounds either by plane or camper that they'd let you in.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

That's odd, I've driven cars through the gates prior to Sunday without credentials. I've never tried the main gate, but I've gone through both most of the others The gate on Knapp between Scholler an the Theatre in the Woods, the one down on the extension of Waupan street, and the one between the Warbirds/HBC area and the North 40.

Carl had texas plates on his car---enough said <g>
    Kevin