Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: r/c flying at airventure

Happy r/c flying at airventure

Hello everyone. I've been attending Airventure since about 1984. This past year I noticed a lot of small r/c electrics flying in Scholler out by the highway. I've always known it to be against the rules to fly RC , kites, etc. I am an avid R/C pilot, and think it would be a neat addition to the after hours activities if us RC guys had a designated place to gather and fly electrics in the evening, and after dark, since a lot are equipped with lights now. I'd be interested to know if EAA would consider this.
    thanks!

Looking forward to Airventure 2014!

Hi Gregg,
    If you have been attending for all those years, I am sure you must have noticed the AMA booth and the flying sites located in Kid Venture at Pioneer Airport??? Check with the AMA people and see what they have to offer ...I would think that if there were a group of guys interested in flying RC aircraft, they would be about to see if you could use the area at Pioneer Field... Just my suggestion, as I also fly RC aircraft, mostly EDF scratchbuilt ..
    Wayne

Airventure is so big, we actually haven't made it over to AMA yet at kid venture. I will contact them and see if something could be set up. Thanks for the suggestion.

You might try contacting AMA directly and ask them about flying at Airventure also.. wouldn't hurt to ask them..

For the past four years, I have been trying to interest AMA and Horizon Hobby into renting one of the University gyms across for the dorms to allow for indoor RC flying from 7 P.M. to 10 P.M. It’s an easy, quick and cheap bus ride to the dorm area for those residing on the Oshkosh airport grounds. For those staying in the dorms, it’s a walk away. There are three or more gyms in that large athletic building. We only need to rent one.
    It’s on my bucket list to make it happen one day.

I know that EAA offers a chance to fly line control flying models at Pioneer Field and I think it is free of charge.

If anyone is interested, I have two brand new,complete, never run, never even out of the box, Cox models with gas .049 engines, that I might sell. One is a race P-51, Red Baron, which I am told is very fast, and one a Spitfire.
    I have flown a line control Cub with a Cox .049, but I don't think I will ever take the chance to fly these fast ones,which probably need an experienced hand, and I'd like to see them go to a good home, maybe more than my shelf.

Note, these are line or U control, not radio control. They were given to me as gifts and I have some emotional attachment to them, especially the Spitfire, but they are just sitting on my garage shelf.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-28-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Bill you should check e-bay on the going prices of some of those Cox planes. Some of those planes are very collectible and the prices are high, especially the ones in the original boxes.
    Most of those old Cox plastic planes were kind of lead sleds and never really flew well, except I hear the PT-19 was one of the better ones.

In the Sept 2013 Sport Aviation, "15 YEARS FOR KIDS" about Kidventure, Jeff Stiles writes that there is both R C and line control model airplane flying.

I'd be interested in the rc's Bill. Shoot me a pm so we can discuss it, etc.. Thanks.

I believe the AMA area over at KidVenture is more of an "introduction to rc flight" setup, not an open flying area for established RC pilots. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. I've learned that AMA is going to ramp up RC activities at Airventure this year. Not sure what they meant, but I hope plans include an area connected to Camp Scholler. That would be a lot of fun to have.