Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mig welding 4130 fuse

Aaron, there is nothing about 4130 that makes it difficult to weld more than any other mild steel.
    It's easier for some people (to weld) with a MIG gun because the right hand can hold the MIG gun and the left hand can steady the right hand. Much easier than TIG where both hands are suspended in open space and any slight jitter gets the tungsten contaminated. The warnings are in AC 43.13 about TIG and tungsten contamination. No warnings about MIG in AC 43.13
    Like I said, I don't think you have attained the skills and used a MIG on aircraft structure enough to give an opinion. And I am getting bored.

Bill,
    Yes there is, not that the person doing the welding would ever notice. I am talking material science here, not how "easy" it is to physically weld. Boy you get bored easy.....no wonder you like Mig

There isn't any thing written in the 43.13 about MIG simply because it wasn't available to the general public when the 43.13 was written.
    The TIG is the easiest to do by far, it is nothing but an electric torch and the motions are the same as oxy/ace torch. If you can weld with one you can weld with the other. It's just a case of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Bill,
    I am talking material science here, not how "easy" it is to physically weld.
    That's he problem, over thinking the issue. JMHO.

I agree with Tom, way over thinking the issue, this discussion has gotten way off track. The original question was "is mig welding a 4130 airframe acceptable" the answer is yes! You don't have to have an engineering degree or posess any voo doo black magic skills to do it. No matter what welding system you use you can have good welds or bad welds it it all depends on the skills of the welder and an airplane project is not the place to learn how to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    There isn't any thing written in the 43.13 about MIG simply because it wasn't available to the general public when the 43.13 was written.
    The TIG is the easiest to do by far, it is nothing but an electric torch and the motions are the same as oxy/ace torch. If you can weld with one you can weld with the other. It's just a case of practice.
    Try a more recent copy of AC 43.13
    MIG is mentioned in both the 1988 and 1998 version (AC 43.13-1B)

Quote Originally Posted by akroflyer View Post
    I agree with Tom, way over thinking the issue, this discussion has gotten way off track. The original question was "is mig welding a 4130 airframe acceptable" the answer is yes! You don't have to have an engineering degree or posess any voo doo black magic skills to do it. No matter what welding system you use you can have good welds or bad welds it it all depends on the skills of the welder and an airplane project is not the place to learn how to weld.
    True I can be accused of over thinking . But in life it has served me better than under thinking. Study welds and you will wish you hadnt. Ignorance can be bliss sometimes.

After thinking on this a bit, I think that this was perfectly on topic. The OP asked if he should trust a Mig welded homebuilt. The final verdict was.....nothing. Some would, some would not. If I did the welding and testing, I would trust it. If it was someone else, not a chance for the reasons mentioned.
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 02-05-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Now now chaps play nice, In repy to Aaron, I understand your concern reguarding the size of the haz but while the oxy haz large , the tig haz is small as well and usually requires warming up with the oxy to stress relieve the joint. I would say that the same prcedure for the mig would solve any stress issues.
    I am a practical man and have been a metal tradesman here in Australia for 35 years and am able to see problems on that practical level but am open to all opinions. I welded thin SS fertilizer bins for a long time so have experience with thin materials. Cheers Ross

Quote Originally Posted by eiclan View Post
    Now now chaps play nice, In repy to Aaron, I understand your concern reguarding the size of the haz but while the oxy haz large , the tig haz is small as well and usually requires warming up with the oxy to stress relieve the joint. I would say that the same prcedure for the mig would solve any stress issues.
    I am a practical man and have been a metal tradesman here in Australia for 35 years and am able to see problems on that practical level but am open to all opinions. I welded thin SS fertilizer bins for a long time so have experience with thin materials. Cheers Ross
    Hi Ross,
    Sounds like you have a good idea what needs to be done. I would also suggest a preheat to help minimize cold starts, something in the 400-500F range might be a good start. This also helps to "feather" out the toe of the weld and reduce the stress concentration at that point.
    Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Hi Ross,
    Sounds like you have a good idea what needs to be done. I would also suggest a preheat to help minimize cold starts, something in the 400-500F range might be a good start. This also helps to "feather" out the toe of the weld and reduce the stress concentration at that point.
    Good Luck!!
    Gday Aaron, Thanks for that suggestion about the preheat, l have a habit of touching off the wire just ahead of the start point and swifly moving back to give the pool time to heat up and then moving over the initial start point to get a consistent heat in the run. Quick question, what is you view on flooding argon through the tube to negate oxidisation on the inside. This was something I used to do when brazing refrig tubing though we used nitrogen. Cheers Ross