Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2014

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    +1. If your accommodations are off site, you only get 1/2 the "Oshkosh Experience"

(and it only took me 1 visit to figure that out, lol)

Note to EAA HQ and Chairman:
    Please seriously consider building a 10,000 suite hotel on the premises(at show centre would be real nice) so that I and many others can get the full "Oshkosh Experience".

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

Please seriously consider building a 10,000 suite hotel on the premises(at show centre would be real nice) so that I and many others can get the full "Oshkosh Experience".
    I'd build it, but we would have to charge $50,000/night to break even. lol!

How Long until July?

Quote Originally Posted by MNWORD View Post

How Long until July?
    Way, way, way too long. If Oshkosh were held twice a year, would the rooms go down to $25,000/night?

Rolls Eyes

Isn't that Camp Scholler? They have everything from the Budget Rooms (simple tents), to the Super deluxe high end rolling Land Yacht spots.

Hey! I got an idea! What if EAA offered to warehouse FEMA trailers for FEMA. US GOVT would get to park their trailers for free with the proviso that EAA gets to OpCheck them once a year.

I'd bet that FEMA is now paying zillions to someone to babysit their trailers. This could save the taxpayers real money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    Hey! I got an idea! What if EAA offered to warehouse FEMA trailers for FEMA. US GOVT would get to park their trailers for free with the proviso that EAA gets to OpCheck them once a year.

I'd bet that FEMA is now paying zillions to someone to babysit their trailers. This could save the taxpayers real money.
    That's a damn good idea provided you could guarantee that no disasters would happen that week. EAA could rent them out cheap.

Might attract the wrong crowd though:

Last edited by Floatsflyer; 01-25-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Dorms are excellent. A mate and I attended our first Oshkosh last year and we chose the airconditioned dorms in Taylor. We didn't need the aircon but it was good insurance.

As Carl mentioned, Blackhawk Commons is a great place to eat. Last year, breakfast was $8 for an all-you-can-eat breakfast and an all-you-can-eat dinner was priced at $14. It wasn't just volume, the quality of the food was excellent plus there was beer and wine available at modest extra cost. Bathrooms were very clean with ample shower cubicles and each cubicle had two shower curtains which provided a good level of privacy.

Meal times were very enjoyable and interesting because we met and talked with people from around the world and across the entire aviation spectrum; homebuilders, airline captains, entusiasts.... We had a great time and would choose the same accommodation if ever we returned. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    We didn't need the aircon but it was good insurance.
    Don't get used to that, last year was a (very welcome) aberration!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    Meal times were very enjoyable and interesting because we met and talked with people from around the world and across the entire aviation spectrum; homebuilders, airline captains, enthusiasts.... We had a great time and would choose the same accommodation if ever we returned. I hope this helps.
    This is what makes almost any place in and around Oshkosh great during the show. No matter where you go you never know who you will end up chatting with! Glad you enjoyed your first visit and I hope you have many more!

Jim
    OSH: 87, 90, 95, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12, 13
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

FEMA Trailers to OSH?!?

That's a damn good idea provided you could guarantee that no disasters would happen that week. EAA could rent them out cheap.

US Govt spent $3.2B to purchase 65000 trailers over the last five years. And they reportedly spent over $220M to park them over the last three years. So, thats about $70M to park 60000 trailers or about $10M to park 10000.

Howabout EAA offers to park 10,000 trailers for a paltry $1M with the proviso they get to use them during OSH. The $1M (plus the Scholler fees) offsets any potential damage to the trailers (EAAers damage something?!?).

FAA Controllers can stay for free (cause the trailers already belong to the USG).

The USG bails aircraft to industry similar fashion.

This could be a real win/win/win for the taxpayers, EAA and FAA. Lets think out of the box here...

Plus, how does FEMA know where the next need is going to be. Oshkosh could be closer! ... ah in my dreams.