Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2014

Oshkosh 2014

I'm planning for Oshkosh 2014 and wanted to gather some information on the dormitories available to rent. What were your experienes at the Dorms? Were the bathrooms Relatively clean? Any information or suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Stayed i the dorms my first year. The rooms and their bathrooms were clean and plenty of hot water. No A/C however.

The dorms are kept extremely clean. Microwave and fridge in each room. TV down in the basement / rec area. Two dorms are fully air conditioned. Taylor, which is a regular dorm, runs around $100-110 a night for 2014. Sorry, I'm not looking up exact numbers. That ballpark, though. There's also the newer dorm, which is closer to $300/night, but it will sleep 4. Semi-private baths in this new dorm. UWO were having problems booking them at this price last year, so they may have reduced the price somewhat. Being new, they're airconditioned. There are a few rooms in the other dorms that must be used by staff or RAs, because there a few with window a/c units; check with the university to check their availability.

There's Blackhawk Commons which is the dining hall. Each meal is an all-you-can-eat deal (unless they've changed it), and the price isn't bad if you're into eating a large quantity. If you just want an egg and toast, it gets expensive. Lots of other food choices available both on and off the field, though. If you're a coffee and bagel guy, there's a small bistro on the ground floor of Gruenhagen that basically has juice, cofee, donuts, bagels, and some cereals all at ala carte prices. I can eat there for $3.50 for breakfast (or less).

This will be my 10th year in the dorms. Not into camping, and the wife likes it that she can get up when SHE wants and still catch the bus to the show when SHE wants to. Would love to camp with my plane, but, hey, at my age I'm just not into camping that much.

Edit for one other thought. The dorms are super clean, but no one goes in your room once they give you the key. No daily linen service, that is. While they supply towels and wash cloths, please bring a larger towel if you're the type to walk down the hallways with a towel wrapped around you. The supplied towels will only embarrass us all. My wife brings her own TP - she hates the 1-micron thick stuff the dorms use. We also bring our own pillows, but that's just us.
    Last edited by CarlOrton; 01-20-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    The dorms are kept extremely clean. Microwave and fridge in each room. TV down in the basement / rec area. Two dorms are fully air conditioned. Taylor, which is a regular dorm, runs around $100-110 a night for 2014. Sorry, I'm not looking up exact numbers. That ballpark, though. There's also the newer dorm, which is closer to $300/night, but it will sleep 4. Semi-private baths in this new dorm. UWO were having problems booking them at this price last year, so they may have reduced the price somewhat. Being new, they're airconditioned. There are a few rooms in the other dorms that must be used by staff or RAs, because there a few with window a/c units; check with the university to check their availability.

There's Blackhawk Commons which is the dining hall. Each meal is an all-you-can-eat deal (unless they've changed it), and the price isn't bad if you're into eating a large quantity. If you just want an egg and toast, it gets expensive. Lots of other food choices available both on and off the field, though. If you're a coffee and bagel guy, there's a small bistro on the ground floor of Gruenhagen that basically has juice, cofee, donuts, bagels, and some cereals all at ala carte prices. I can eat there for $3.50 for breakfast (or less).

This will be my 10th year in the dorms. Not into camping, and the wife likes it that she can get up when SHE wants and still catch the bus to the show when SHE wants to. Would love to camp with my plane, but, hey, at my age I'm just not into camping that much.

Edit for one other thought. The dorms are super clean, but no one goes in your room once they give you the key. No daily linen service, that is. While they supply towels and wash cloths, please bring a larger towel if you're the type to walk down the hallways with a towel wrapped around you. The supplied towels will only embarrass us all. My wife brings her own TP - she hates the 1-micron thick stuff the dorms use. We also bring our own pillows, but that's just us.
    When you say the bathrooms are semi-private what do you mean? Are the showers open or are they small?

In the hall I was in, there was a communal men's rest room down the hall, but it had individual stalls so you really don't have to lose too much modesty.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 01-21-2014 at 06:58 AM.

The only semi-private baths are in the new dorms that have 4 folks per "suite". There are two bedrooms in each suite, two folks per room, that each share one bathroom, hence the "semi-private." You don't have to run down the hall, but if you're all wanting to catch the 7 AM bus, better stagger the shower times!

As Ron mentioned, ALL other dorms are regular dorm bathrooms - one per hallway, about 4 stalls per bathroom, 4 showers per bathroom (those number's for Taylor).

I have not stayed in the new dorm, but friends did.

Regular dorm showers are pretty decent; regular square shower. Each hallway shower has at least one accessible toilet stall and shower stall.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Still beats the showers in most of the campgrounds. The water is forceful, hot, and stays on without having to hold the button down...

Camp next to your plane. Seriously.

I've been to OSH 32 times. The first 17 times, I stayed off-field, and *thought* I was attending the convention.

What I didn't know -- couldn't, really -- is that Oshkosh begins after the airspace shuts down, and the parking lots empty.

Get yourself one of the new, 12" thick inflatable queen sized mattresses, and a decent tent. These new beds are more comfy than any dorm bed, and you'll be right in the thick of things.

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
    What I didn't know -- couldn't, really -- is that Oshkosh begins after the airspace shuts down, and the parking lots empty.
    +1. If your accommodations are off site, you only get 1/2 the "Oshkosh Experience"

(and it only took me 1 visit to figure that out, lol)

+2!