Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: private pilots can be paid for flying as PIC?

private pilots can be paid for flying as PIC?

I received this today in my email ->http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event...aspx?eid=56804

**The Ohio State University, Angle of Attack (AOA), Research Study / see contact info below .Topic: Volunteer pilots needed to study the benefits of Angle of Attack Displays. Compensation for time. .Date and Time: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 , starting at 8:00 am EST Download Calendar File .Speaker(s): Mr. Marshall Pomeroy (event coordinator) .Brief Description: Who Can Participate:
    1. Volunteer pilots with a private pilot certificate having between 50 - 200 hours of total flt time.
    2. Time commitment is 3-6 hours. Flight time will average 2-3.5 hours. Compenasation will be based on $10/flight hour. Flight time can be logged at PIC.
    3. Flights will be conducted in university aircraft. Flights will begin and end at KOSU**

So, the FAA says it is OK for a private pilot to be paid compensation of $10 per flight hour of logged PIC time to participate in this study. Are they breaking one of their rules? While the study might be important, I would hope the FAA would be constant in what they say we can or can’t do. Does anyone else see the possible conflict with FAA regulations or is this SOP?

Even without the $10 it flies in the face of some FAA counsel decisions that define free flight time as renumeration as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Even without the $10 it flies in the face of some FAA counsel decisions that define free flight time as renumeration as well.
    Why would you expect the FAA to make sense or be consistent?

Tim

Banned
    Well, the notice is right there on the FAA site....so its gotta be OK, doesn't it? Maybe there's something about the wording, "volunteer" pilot that provides some kind of exemption. Or maybe it's the mighty and powerful The OSU that somehow requests and receives some dispensation or special treatment.

Whatever, those close to the OSU airport should apply. 3.5 hours of logged free flying and $35 for your trouble is a pretty good afternoon.

You guys might be reading too much into it. Nowhere does it say you will be directly compensated for flying the plane. Payment might be for the 2.5- 4 hrs of "time commitment" which is required in addition to the plane flying.

In the end, how do you know the flight time won't be logged as "dual"??? You can certainly simultaneously log flight time as PIC and dual. I'm sure there are some flight time hungry OSU CFI's that want a cut.

private pilots can be paid for flying as PIC?

I may be wrong, but it sure looks to me like the compensation offer violates 61.113. It might just be a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing at a very large organization, i.e. the FAA. Perhaps OSU typically compensates volunteers in their studies; so OSU sends the notice of the study to FAA, and some helpful person there adds the notice to FAA Safety's events page. I'd be willing to bet though, that if it is a violation, the fact that it's on the FAA's website would be no defense...
    Last edited by Chuck Arnold; 07-08-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Arnold View Post
    I'd be willing to bet though, that if it is a violation, the fact that it's on the FAA's website would be no defense...
    I'd take that bet going the other way. So would every lawyer. "Ipso facto" rules the day.

Maybe this is an OSU sting operation to help Michigan pilots get in trouble. Go Bucks!

To play it safe, I would not accept the $10 per hour payment and not log any PIC time. It sounds like an interesting program to participate in if done correctly.

All 61.113 says is a private pilot can not act as PIC for compensation or hire, excluding a few exceptions.

Wow, paranoia is the rule of the day in this age. I seriously doubt there is anything illegal about this experiment. If I was close by, I'd definitely participate, take their money and log the time.
    Last edited by martymayes; 07-08-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Here's 61.113(a): "Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft."

I have a hard time seeing how someone can legally act as PIC for "compensation" (other than the pro rata compensation from passengers for fuel) based on my reading of that section.