Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another way to honor Paul at Oshkosh 2014

Another way to honor Paul at Oshkosh 2014

I've only been a member a short time (since 2005).

I thought of this post as I was reading about cigarette butts and how all these newbies are ruining the show by letting their kids jump all over our planes, and thought about "Oshkosh Rules." As a relative newbie, I've never seen them posted, but understand the basics.

How about if this year we each make an honest effort to re-emphasize Oshkosh Rules? As in, getting word out to all the members. Maybe a few signs around - nothing "in your face" but just something simple like, "Remember Oshkosh Rules". Maybe if we all acted like Protect Our Planes volunteers, or stooped over to pick up trash again (not that some of us ever stopped), and try to educate the irregular members (as opposed to regular) on the impacts of their actions.

I think Paul would really appreciate this action.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Excellent suggestion Carl! It'd make a poignant tee shirt also....
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Excellent idea. A little self awareness goes WAY farther than any rule.

Hmmm… Would I wear T-shirt that says "Remember Oshkosh Rules" ? Maybe. My wife, who is very into that kind of stuff, being a Librarian, said she would probably not. The signs are good. I would be very willing to have such a sign right next to the placard describing my airplane. We also need to make the rules available.

It may be helpful to post a reminder of what was expected in the past. I attended Oshkosh from 1981 through '99, and then again in 2007. the difference was stark, the grounds were no longer just crowded, they were trash strewn as well. The crowd no longer seemed to be airplane people and home builders at "their" national convention but rather a generic "airshow" crowd. That was emphasized when two P-51's collided and many in the crowd by me exclaimed "wow,cool!, look at that!", Many seemed to all but cheer!, not realizing that it was not part of the show and that unlike Nascar the pilot was not going to get out and wave to the crowd. Even the convention staff were rude and and unhelpful to us, as the rule not the exception. My Wife and I have no intention of going back to what is now AirVenture,(another move away from the memberships' convention and toward a general public "show"). The organization seems to be moving back to low cost homebuilding somewhat but has a long way to go. Paul's leadership as a builder was great for those who wanted to fly, period, Tom as a pilot still did not disenfranchise the low-cost builder, now the impression is that if you do not start with a $35K kit and spend another $60K to finish it you are not welcome. A good example to the organization's change is that they hold the first autogas STC (1982) and yet DO NOT promote it's use and insist "officially" that a 100 octane avgas be the only choice for fuel.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Carl, I love this idea! We need to do a much better job of bringing visibility to the "Oshkosh Rules" - here they are in all their wonderful simplicity for anyone who has never actually seen them:

"Oshkosh Rules"
    EAA AirVenture is regarded as one of the cleanest major events anywhere in the world, because people follow some basic rules:

• Pick up and throw away all trash
    • If you see trash on the ground, pick it up and throw it away
    • NO SMOKING anywhere on the flight line except in designated smoking areas
    • No touching any aircraft without permission

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I've only been a member a short time (since 2005).

I thought of this post as I was reading about cigarette butts and how all these newbies are ruining the show by letting their kids jump all over our planes, and thought about "Oshkosh Rules." As a relative newbie, I've never seen them posted, but understand the basics.

How about if this year we each make an honest effort to re-emphasize Oshkosh Rules? As in, getting word out to all the members. Maybe a few signs around - nothing "in your face" but just something simple like, "Remember Oshkosh Rules". Maybe if we all acted like Protect Our Planes volunteers, or stooped over to pick up trash again (not that some of us ever stopped), and try to educate the irregular members (as opposed to regular) on the impacts of their actions.

I think Paul would really appreciate this action.
    I had the honor of visiting with Paul a number of times at Regional Airshow meetings. Paul was a stickler for picking up every last piece of trash, whether on the grounds, in the museum, or any other place he was. I can think no higher honor to his memory than for each of us to pick up any piece of trash we see on the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Carl, I love this idea! We need to do a much better job of bringing visibility to the "Oshkosh Rules" - here they are in all their wonderful simplicity for anyone who has never actually seen them:

"Oshkosh Rules"
    EAA AirVenture is regarded as one of the cleanest major events anywhere in the world, because people follow some basic rules:

• Pick up and throw away all trash
    • If you see trash on the ground, pick it up and throw it away
    • NO SMOKING anywhere on the flight line except in designated smoking areas
    • No touching any aircraft without permission
    After my first visit in 1985, I brought Oshkosh Rules back home. I think people think it's sort of weird when I pick up and properly toss litter as I walk along, even in professional settings, but if not me, then who? After all, I was trained by Paul! (indirectly, anyway…)

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. YOUR choice
    I may have heard that somewhere else.

It is contagious -example. Fast food parking lot. I noted a passenger intentionally dropping a bag out the window. I went over and picked it up - right next to their car looking the passenger in the eye - I put it in the trash can 10 feet away. Moments later I saw the driver get out and walk his trash to the bin. I was just another customer who chose to have a cleaner world.
    Example - next to my house is a commons parking area - it is MY commons parking area. Visitors of a neighbor intentionally threw out a beer can. I walked over and said - I believe you dropped this....would you like me to put it in recycling for you?
    Part of the problem or part of the solution... doing nothing or complaining is part of the problem BTW

Our JOB is to be mentors. We can say.. " This is the cleanest public event because we care" as we help educate those around us. " This event is run by 5000 volunteers who really care that this is the world's best event."
    As AV continues to be a major public venue ..... Many day visitors may not know of the history, the ethic, the level of volunteerism , the months of dedicated service or the years of continued attendance that families from around the world come to be part of. They just know it has lots of cool planes. It's our job to educate - to create a friend of aviation and friend of EAA.
    Be part of the solution.
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 01-24-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks, Hal!

BTW; this is the first time I've seen them written down. I knew the basics, but just never saw them.

Hmmmm.... Here's a possible twist on it: I don't know if the 2014 Volunteer Shirts have been designed yet, or even if there will BE volunteer shirts this year, but I can see where including the "rules" on each shirt would be an effective way to communicate them to the unaware. Wouldn't have to protrude into the advertiser's are much. Would be even better if Bendix or whomever bought into it as well: "Proudly supporting Oshkosh Rules since...."

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton