Thread: The Path Forward from SEL to Ag Pilot

The Path Forward from SEL to Ag Pilot

It seems that one of the most fun and pure seat-of-your-pants flying to be had these days would be flying as an agricultural pilot (crop duster) which I've heard is a growth field. With the new FAA regs on hours to be a copilot for an airline, it may be the best way to build hours toward that as well since you'll get a living wage on the way to 1500.

As a guy with a basic SEL, what's the best way ahead to get into ag flying? What ratings should I go for next? What training should I be looking into? Thanks for any pointers.

I would think plenty of tail wheel time would be an important step in the process. Have you seen this before? http://www.agaviation.org/content/become-ag-pilot

Get a commercial pilot certificate and buy an ag plane. Then you can get an ag operator certificate and chemical handling licenses, drum up some business and go to it.

I used to work for an ag operator, as an A&P. I couldn't do ag work for him because of insurance and I had 4000 hrs at the time and couple hundred tailwheel.

AG flying would be great for building hours and honing your stick and rudder skills. But, you'll have to fill in the other blanks that the Airlines or corporate would want to see. That means multi-engine, IFR flying in the ATC system and some amount of crew experience if possible, and any legitimate turbine time you can get. Maybe in the off season you can work on those skills too.
    Good luck,
    Jim