Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you help identify wheel?

If it is a Waco glider, back in the trees, and it's not in too bad a shape, it could have some value to the Warbird crowd. I'd really like to see some pictures as well.

Thank you all for your help. Here are some pictures of the frame. Hard to get around it with the thorn bushes, snow and it's on the edge of the bank to the creek below. Lol. If any one could tell me what the right price would be to sell the wheel I'd appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  102.5 KBHere's more.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  102.9 KB

More pics.

Thanks, Debbie...I'm thinking that is a Waco glider. The size is certainly about right. Also on the second shot in your second posting with pictures, one can see lightweight-tubing "Z" bracing; bracing without verticals. This looks very close to the structure in this shot, though taken from a different angle.

http://www.warbirdsandairshows.com/i...-15a-96w-1.jpg

Now, chop down all those trees and paint the tubing a contrasting color so we can get a better look at it. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Ron. Funny guy you are. Lol maybe I'll take on that project come springtime when it's warmer! Would you know if there are people out there that would have interest in buying the wheel/ or wheel and frame. Is the frame even worth anything but scrape metal?
    Debbie.

Well there are some pics. What do you think?
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Thanks Ron. Funny guy you are. Lol maybe I'll take on that project come springtime when it's warmer! Would you know if there are people out there that would have interest in buying the wheel/ or wheel and frame. Is the frame even worth anything but scrap metal?
    You've got a tough one, there, Debbie. Normally, there are a goodly number of people who would go absolutely gaga over a warbird wreck.

However, in your case, you've got a glider. People buy warbird wrecks to restore and fly, and take trophies at air shows. However, one can't just hop in a WWII combat glider and fly it to the next state. It's a major production just to get it off the ground for a test flight (they were towed by what were, essentially airliners). There *are* people restoring Waco gliders, but it's invariably for static displays in museums. And a museum will push hard for you to donate the materials; only the biggest will whip out the checkbooks.

Plus, of course, it's a wood and steel aircraft, deliberately built cheaply, that's been sitting out in the weather for the past 70 years. MAY not be that much that someone will use.

You might try listing it on sites like barnstormers.com, just to see if there's any interest.

Otherwise...I've got three suggestions. Most areas have small history museums tucked away, here and there. You might contact them and see if any are interested. They probably won't restore it, but it might make an interesting display.

A second suggestion: Contact your local Civil Air Patrol and see if they've got some cadets who might like to recover it for their squadron. Most of the kids will think it's kind of cool.

The final suggestion: Find a sign carver to make you a wooden sign, like a foot high and two wide, that says,

WWII WACO CG-4 COMBAT GLIDER

...and nail it to a tree near the hardware. Now you've got your OWN museum!

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Ron for all your information and suggestions!
    Debbie