Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking at Airventure,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miemsed View Post
    I am often forced to breath in the smoke from the smoker.
    Forced!?! Forced!?! Let me say it again for added emphasis. Forced!?! You do realize that I'm imagining 87 guys with orange EAA sweatshirts grabbing you, taking you behind a hangar, tying you up with the latest and greatest S&M outfit all the while force feeding smoke into every body cavity you possess. Quite the image, eh?

But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and suspend my disbelief by specifically asking you to respond to the W5 of journalism. Who forced you? What allowed you to be forced? When were you forced? Where were you forced? And, Why were you forced? Ready....go.

Quote Originally Posted by miemsed View Post
    I do not have to drink the alcohol at Oshkosh that someone else is drinking. I am often forced to breath in the smoke from the smoker.
    You might well be run over by a drunk driver though, but I am sure that you will be more concerned as to wether he was smoking at the time .

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    You might well be run over by a drunk driver though, but I am sure that you will be more concerned as to wether he was smoking at the time .
    I hope you realize how foolish that sounds. I am going to assume you were trying for humor.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

This is hilariously past cigarette smoking at OSH. Political philosophy battle. Control freaks who distrust or even despise their fellow humans vs proponents of individual rights exercised responsibly vs anything goes. Wow.

No wonder government is so messed up. We elect them.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    This is hilariously past cigarette smoking at OSH. Political philosophy battle. Control freaks who distrust or even despise their fellow humans vs proponents of individual rights exercised responsibly vs anything goes. Wow.

We already have the data in general and specifically at Oshkosh: Smokers do not take the personal responsibility to smoke in designated areas. Smokers do not take the personal responsibility to properly discard their butts. Smokers do not take the personal responsibility to direct their outflow away from their fellow human beings. This is the outcome of allowing smoking at any venue: the majority of smokers are irresponsible and so we end up in discussions like this.

I thus don't like it that EAA allows smoking at Airventure. Am I going to do anything about this beyond commenting on a web forum? Of course not. I'm pretty much the opposite of a control freak, nor do I despise my fellow human beings, or whatever else is your flavor of the day for pigeon-holing people who recognize irresponsible behavior that impacts fellow human beings.

Is that political?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post

cdmuetzel@juno.com

SPOT-ON! We get the govt. we deserve, and the basic argument of this thread is at least as old as our republic.

Joe

This smoking at EAA question is not that complex. We know beyond a doubt the smoke is bad for you, primary or secondary, despite what some smokers claim.
    I'd like to see EAA do the right thing like most college campuses, etc., and this would not only meet the view of the majority, but be a good example for younger people.
    Major quality hotel chains are non smoking, though you can still find a few on the low end that tolerate smoking and they smell like it. Same for restaurants, churches, etc. These businesses have not lost customers, they have gained them.If you are appealing to the higher end customer, they increasingly don't want to be around smoke.And businesses find lower cleaning costs and health care costs being cleaner.
    It has nothing to do with "kids out of public schools" or me saying "people under $100k should not fly" or any other nonsense which of course I didn't say or write.
    And in the long run since many smokers say they'd like to quit if nicotine was not so addictive, this would be helping them quit, as the more places where people don't smoke the more people quit.

If on the other hand, EAA doesn't change anything, we can live with it at Airventure. The limited smoking areas are outside, and most visitors aren't smoking anyway. When we had this discussion in August after Oshkosh some people didn't even realize there was smoking allowed there.
    I do wonder if someone high up in EAA is a smoker since they are behind many other venues in their rules.
    I think one of the reasons most people, up to 90% are nonsmokers where I live is that at 6000 to 8000 feet there is less oxygen so you don't want to waste any of it!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-15-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Slightly orthogonal to the original post, but I think it's funny so....

2 years ago we flew into Richmond Va and proceeded to the hotel. (big-name national chain). As we were checking in, we were asked, "Smoking or non-smoking?" Catching me off-guard, I was obviously taken aback, and replied, "You STILL have smoking rooms available?!?" To which the clerk replied, "Oh, yes! We have TWO WHOLE FLOORS dedicated to smoking rooms!"

By now I'm completely blown away by this. She then adds, "Remember - this is Richmond - home to X number of tobacco companies!"

OHHHHHhhhhhhhh....... Some businesses still listen to their customers.

And, BTW, I'm a non-smoker, not an anti-smoker.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Smoking at AirVenture is allowed, but only outside of buildings. So, comparison with restaurants and hotels doesn't really hold up. Are there other large outdoor gatherings that prohibit smoking? Concerts? County fairs? Carnivals? I honestly don't know. I generally avoid smokers and have no problem doing that at Oshkosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    This smoking at EAA question is not that complex. We know beyond a doubt the smoke is bad for you, primary or secondary, despite what some smokers claim.
    I'd like to see EAA do the right thing like most college campuses, etc., and this would not only meet the view of the majority, but be a good example for younger people.
    Major quality hotel chains are non smoking, though you can still find a few on the low end that tolerate smoking and they smell like it. Same for restaurants, churches, etc. These businesses have not lost customers, they have gained them.If you are appealing to the higher end customer, they increasingly don't want to be around smoke.And businesses find lower cleaning costs and health care costs being cleaner.
    It has nothing to do with "kids out of public schools" or me saying "people under $100k should not fly" or any other nonsense which of course I didn't say or write.
    And in the long run since many smokers say they'd like to quit if nicotine was not so addictive, this would be helping them quit, as the more places where people don't smoke the more people quit.

If on the other hand, EAA doesn't change anything, we can live with it at Airventure. The limited smoking areas are outside, and most visitors aren't smoking anyway. When we had this discussion in August after Oshkosh some people didn't even realize there was smoking allowed there.
    I do wonder if someone high up in EAA is a smoker since they are behind many other venues in their rules.
    I think one of the reasons most people, up to 90% are nonsmokers where I live is that at 6000 to 8000 feet there is less oxygen so you don't want to waste any of it!
    How do you propose to police the "No Smoking" rule? Seems to be like numerous laws and rules that are un-enforceable or simply not enforced. Simple in concept, difficult if not impossible to implement.