Thread: Flight Control Modes

Flight Control Modes

I use the Logitech 3D extreme Pro joy stick. Out of the box I did not like it. Before I purchased rudder peddles I used this stick for all controls. When flying a helicopter I did not like how stiff the springs are that hold the stick centered. I took this stick apart and removed some tension on the springs and it helped a lot.

Has anyone else done anything like this to their equipment?

Tony

I had a somewhat similar issue with a Saitek Pro series yoke. The fore/aft springs were too strong and had a 'detent' in the middle of the range that was hard to work thru. It also had a serious centering spring in the roll axis.

I found a video out on YouTube, and away I went. I removed most of the fore/aft 'feel' mechanism and replaced it with a non-aviation-grade elastometeric material (rubber bands) working in opposition to each other. No detent, and a more uniform feel thru the throw range. Just eliminated the roll axis spring completely. It made a huge difference in the 'flying' experience for the better.

Jim

I never thought to replace the springs with rubber bands. Great info. I will be taking my stick back apart and doing this. I wish they would put adjustments on these springs so one could adjust the tension to their liking.

Tony

My saitek rudder pedals has adjustments for tension and I like that feature. They should do this to joysticks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I never thought to replace the springs with rubber bands. Great info. I will be taking my stick back apart and doing this. I wish they would put adjustments on these springs so one could adjust the tension to their liking. Tony
    $3 for a lifetime supply (1/4 pound) of 1/4" x 4" at Staples. You can tweak the feel more with additional little ones if you need to.

Jim