Thread: Willing to go OSH2014 on T2O area

Big Grin Willing to go OSH2014 on T2O area

HI AVIATON peers, I am willing to go OSH 2014 and need more info on how to stay in the tents 2 OSH area camping,requirements, fees and everything else, by the way this is my first time to OSH, I have no airplane nor tent.Thanks.
    Last edited by canelfno; 01-03-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    Start here http://www.airventure.org/
    a lot of what you need to know is explained here. I usually hire a car and camp on site and buy what I need at Wal Mart.

Yep, before we can answer you need to explain how you're planning to get to Oshkosh and if you have ever camped before. If you fly in commercial and rent a car as Ozzie says it's pretty easy, you can hit any number of Walmarts between the airport and the show (there is even a large one right in Oshkosh). Once you arrive at Scholler you just pick up a vacant piece of ground and park and pitch your tent. The camper registration as you come in will sell you the camper credentials, your show admission bands, and programs and generally can point you in any direction you need. There's a little camp store right in the middle of the campground where you can get sundries even without having to run off to WalMart.

Thanks.

I am planning to fly from Puerto Rico to Milwaukee by airline, rent a car and then head to OSH, Yes I have done camping before by the beach to a place where i can bring my own tent and car and groceries, but for OSH I think it might be difficult to bring my own tent, I read this month "Field of Dreams" camping at airventure on sport aviation mag, and I would like to count on the best ,cheaper and easyest way to stay inside the grounds.Thanks, Carlos EAA 868647

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Yep, before we can answer you need to explain how you're planning to get to Oshkosh and if you have ever camped before. If you fly in commercial and rent a car as Ozzie says it's pretty easy, you can hit any number of Walmarts between the airport and the show (there is even a large one right in Oshkosh). Once you arrive at Scholler you just pick up a vacant piece of ground and park and pitch your tent. The camper registration as you come in will sell you the camper credentials, your show admission bands, and programs and generally can point you in any direction you need. There's a little camp store right in the middle of the campground where you can get sundries even without having to run off to WalMart.
    I am planning to fly from Puerto Rico to Milwaukee by airline, rent a car and then head to OSH, Yes I have done camping before by the beach to a place where i can bring my own tent and car and groceries, but for OSH I think it might be difficult to bring my own tent, I read this month "Field of Dreams" camping at airventure on sport aviation mag, and I would like to count on the best ,cheaper and easyest way to stay inside the grounds.Thanks, Carlos EAA 868647

If you rent a car there are between MKE and OSH some large camping supply places and there's always Wal*Mart. You can get an inexpensive tent and either abandon it or donate it to someone else if you don't want to take it home. In 21 years of Oshkosh I've been through about five tents. One my kids destroyed, and I ran off to Walmart and bought a cheap dome tent which lasted about two shows before I had to throw it in the dumpster rather than bring it home.

Actually, I accumulate tents. I've got a storage locker just off the field now so when someone upgrades (or gives up not he show), we get another spare tent in there.

The following is a nice article on camping at OSH. It's a little dated, but I think everything is basically still accurate.

http://www.upaero.com/oshkoshairshowcampingguide.pdf

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Most of that is pretty good although the food situation was completely changed (for the better) last year. The one time I camped in Scholler I didn't even need to get out of my car. They pretty much handed me everything I needed through the window. Every other year I've camped with the plane (more or less a similar procedure, twice in the North 40, a lot of times in Vintage).