Thread: Part of the problem or part of the solution....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jim,
    I agree and as a chapter president, I am mindful of the need to grow and attract younger members. It is a priority for our chapter this year. Did you happen to read the post on facebook by Dick VanGrunsven echoing the need to support EAA to help preserve the future of GA ? It can be read here, https://www.facebook.com/notes/vans-...24057147604660 . As you stated, how to attract younger members on their terms is the variable that hasn't been completely conquered, and it is vital to survival. I am hopeful that we can attract some young members this year and then ask them how do we attract others and have them help lead the way.

Tom Finch

Thanks Tom. Exactly. There have been contributors to this forum who are the half empty kind of people. I wanted to provide a opportunity to have a paradigm shift - to have hope and engage in change - just not lament the "good ole days" .
    Just like our parents who couldn't understand us....it is our generation's need to find a pathway to aviation that is engaging and rewarding for the gen X and Ys. IMHO creating a critical mass of 30-40 YO is vital for each chapter's life.
    My chapter had 4 new members this last year. We might see 2 of them in any activity. We lost 4 to "flying west". Based on the demographic, we will see an acceleration of "flights west" in the next 5 years.
    I have remained on the board to continue to redirect the stagnation and decline. I will make it my focus for this year.