Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: websites

websites

It may have been addressed before ....But why when you do a chapter search on the eaa website it doesn't link you to the chapter's website your interested in instead of the can-can contact with an e-mail address?

Should I address this question some where else for a reply?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi flyrite - this is the right place but A) I'm not sure I understand your question and B) I'm on vacation doing a lot of traveling so I've got limited availability right now.

Can you clarify what it is you're asking and explain the "can can" bit? If you can be specific and say "I go to the website and I do x and then y, and q happens but I think that actually z happens" that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hey Hal, Thanks for the response....When you are searching for a chapter{IAC or EAA}all you get is the e-mail link to the person who either maintains it or is the president. What I would like is to be able to access the chapters website itself. I may be overlooking something but other than doing a yahoo search for the chapter of interest I can't see any other way of getting to their website. If after you have gone thru the process of locating the chapter on the eaa site then you click on "Chapter" it gives you nothing but the "can-can" email address of the person running it. Unless I'm missing something {probably he case} why not just link to the web site of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrite View Post
    Hey Hal, Thanks for the response....When you are searching for a chapter{IAC or EAA}all you get is the e-mail link to the person who either maintains it or is the president. What I would like is to be able to access the chapters website itself. I may be overlooking something but other than doing a yahoo search for the chapter of interest I can't see any other way of getting to their website. If after you have gone thru the process of locating the chapter on the eaa site then you click on "Chapter" it gives you nothing but the "can-can" email address of the person running it. Unless I'm missing something {probably he case} why not just link to the web site of interest?

BUMP!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Still on vacation, still don't know what "can-can" means...

I'll look into this when I'm back in the office.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Still on vacation, still don't know what "can-can" means...
    Not sure if It's a southern thang or not & from my observation theirs alot of "Northern Philosophy" to this forum...But Let me see if I can "SLPAN IT FER YA"......

Dif. of "CAN-CAN"...from "Websters Redneck Dictionary"..................You make a request for a specific info. only to be given the same can-can response of useless info that you already know !...........Someone gives you a can-can Christmas Card, Meaning no hand written parts only has the can-can words from where ever you bought it from {I.E. Useless words that provide no new info. or help}.......And for one last Dif. of "CAN-CAN".........Any website that you make a request for specific info bout a chapter on one page just to be routed back to the same "CAN-CAN" page that you just left!!!!!

"CAN-CAN".....Useless........A lot like the guy typing this to you now!!!!

Have a good remaining vacation Hal.

Tony Zorn aka flyrite

What page are you doing this search from?
    When I go to www.eaa.org/chapters, then on the right column, select Locate a Chapter. That puts me on www.eaa.org/chapters/locator
    I filter by State, and/or type of Chapter. When I click on any of the chapter numbers it takes me to the webs version of the chapter's site.

BTW, for chapter people running those pages, don't forget to change the copyright notice next week to say 2014.

What he is saying, you get a generic page with limit info just a link to someone's e-mail. I too found this frustrating when I first joined. I thought more info should be available to the members about each club not just an e-mail of some Joe.
    But then after being a member and searching local clubs just in my area, I found if one was to put a more intensive list, one would find most clubs are on the way out do to attrition. I even approached a couple clubs and they do not want new members or they would not except me, I may not look right or sound correct, you would have to ask them.
    I have seen some clubs or read about some EAA clubs I have a lot of respect for, you just do not find these clubs in my area. Not that I do not respect the members of what clubs we have around here, they are just on the way out. Only thing they do is hold a pancake breakfast every now and again.

Tony

A quick history of the EAA chapter websites hosted by webs.com.
    About two years ago EAA created a website homepage for each chapter in EAA. This was a basic homepage with the ability for each chapter to add content as they wished.
    The program was created to eliminate the problems many chapters had either with no website or websites that were at one point active but webmasters have gone on to other places leaving the site outdated and nearly useless.
    EAA wanted to have easily accessible links to each chapter site so that someone interested in becoming a chapter member could quickly and easily find a chapter any place they go or have interest in. It became clear, very quickly, that the only way of doing this was to create the site themselves
    By cruising around at the various EAA hosted chapter websites you will find a variety of content. A chapter may only have a homepage that may or may not be current (it was at one time) , it may have some small limited content or you may find one with a tremendous amount of content including customized headers and footers nearly unrecognizable from its original form.
    Chapter 52 in Sacramento was one of those chapters with at one time an excellent website with tremendous content, beautifully laid out with lots of widgets and links to weather stations, and then the webmaster disappeared, we lost contact with the server and went through endless hours trying to get the old site turnoff so that we would not look like a bunch of buffoons.
    I personally keep up my chapter site and have from the beginning of the EAA created sites. I really appreciate EAA creating the basic framework within which I can add content. Using the Webs tools it's fairly easy to keep the site updated- limited only by my imagination and time.