Thread: Flying with a Dog

Flying with a Dog

Hello everyone.

I'm wondering what I can learn about flying with dog regarding hearing protection. No doubt there is some wisdom here about it, probably people who have learned things they can share.

Does it bother them over time?
    Are some sort of ear muffs recommended?

Thank you for your input.

Jen

They sell doggie hearing protection though most of the dogs that I know that fly don't bother. I had a friend with a lab that loved hopping in planes (not necessarily those of the owner unfortunately). I've got another friend with a dog (oddly named Jeppesen) that is scared to death of flying.

mutt muffs http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

Dogs are as different as people. I have seen dogs that like to fly in airplanes. I have seen dogs that skydive with their owners. The SpecOps folks use dogs on high altitude insertions. Dog and handler at 30,000 - http://www.k9storm.com/cataloguenew04.html

Dog oxygen masks for civilian flying - http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9353

One friend had a dog that was retired from the Army and had made 5 parachute jumps with its handler.

Like taking a child flying, try taking your dog up with another person so that you can fly and the other person can take care of the dog. If the dog acts like they like it, the next trip might be you and the dog.

Never asked about how the dog's ears are during climbs and descents, but I never saw my dog owner aviator friends have issues there.

The dogs that I saw skydiving and flying all acted like they enjoyed it. When the owners geared up, the dogs acted like they would going for a car ride.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 12-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Banned
    You bring back great memories of flying with my 90 lb Weimaraner, Rudy, in the 80's. He really enjoyed it and I loved taking him on poker runs and fly-ins(and he was a great chick magnet). Back then no products existed for dogs who flew in private aviation, but numerous products and sellers are available today.

This year's Oshkosh had an exhibitor in one of the hangers with some really innovative stuff. Search for 2013 exhibitors on the Oshkosh site, you'll find it, had "pets" in the company title I believe. Getting ear protection for your dog is a very good and necessary idea(if he'll wear it--might be easier for droopy ears than pointed). There are also unique wearable restraints that attach to seatbelts that are equally necessary.

We have a fella with a Cherokee 140 that based at my home strip in Vermont for the summer. He has five springer spaniels that go all over with him and compete in field trials. He landed long one day and dinged his prop, so naturally we all asked him which dog was at the controls that day...

Back in the 80's, I was based out of Bob Lee in Deland, FL. The airport was home to a beautiful, brindle german shepherd that I used to take up in the right seat of a T-craft. Problem was, when ever I put my hand on the throttle, he thought I wanted to "shake" and put his massive paw on my hand, so I transitioned him to the back seat of a Champ. He seemed to like the visibilty of the Champ better and I sure liked the lack of his big paws on the controls.

Thank you all for good info. I'll check out the references.

I have always flown with dog, no problem. This one loves, it too.

Just thought I'd check into this.

TY

Jen

Don't forget eye protection if you're flying an open cockpit. The wind can really mess up their eyes if they like to do the "dog thing" and stick their nose out the side. My dog Lucky is a 90lb shepherd mutt and he wears size large "Doggles". I also modified a pair of cheap Chinese goggles I got on Ebay which look better and he seems to like as well (he looks cool with them on too). Another issue is cold. It's around 40 degrees here right now so Luck' wraps up in a blanket tucked into his harness. Which brings up another issue, make sure you have them hooked in somehow. Lucky wears a regular harness and I just put the seatbelt through it. He can move around, sit up and lay down, but he can't get down by the pedals or fall out. He's flown with me for 14 years so far without any problem. I don't know if he likes to fly or not but he sure raises he11 if I try to go without him.

I've flown several times with my toy Poodles and have had no trouble whatsoever. I have never used any hearing protection for them.

One Poodle didn't mind a bit, he wanted to sit up high and look out the window. The other was more nervous and preferred to stay low and sleep. Generally, I leave her in the kennel where she is more comfortable or have my wife hold her.

Here is a picture of Coby enjoying the view from about 6,500 feet:

Name:  480779_10100417711725823_429550649_n.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  67.6 KB

This thread reminds me of Art Schol who used to fly his aerobatic routines at Oshkosh with his dog "Aileron" on board.