Thread: For the Non-Simmers...Enjoy!

For the Non-Simmers...Enjoy!

This is a review someone did of a new 'pay-ware' add-on airplane to be used with Flight Simulator X. I think you will be amazed at the level of realism the hobby has gotten to.... Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bLOAMK9mobc

Jim

PS- I'm not pushing the product...just the technical achievment of it all. :-)
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 12-30-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add PS

I've been very impressed with the graphics in aerofly FS. If you set them to "high" it even renders things like reflections on the fabric Pitts wings, rib stitching, and metal texture.

Unfortunately it's so graphics intensive that it has to run in "medium," which even then still runs the machine hot.
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Jim,

This was my first visit to this forum and I really enjoyed the video! What hardware does this software run on? We've got about a foot of snow on the ground here in Ohio and the temps have been very low for the past couple of weeks so I'm grounded waited for spring. The Flight Sim would be a great way to spend my afternoons waiting for Spring!!!

Thanks for posting this, it impressive!!!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Jim,

This was my first visit to this forum and I really enjoyed the video! What hardware does this software run on? We've got about a foot of snow on the ground here in Ohio and the temps have been very low for the past couple of weeks so I'm grounded waited for spring. The Flight Sim would be a great way to spend my afternoons waiting for Spring!!!

Thanks for posting this, it impressive!!!

Joe
    Hi, Joe,

You're very welcome! I hear you about waiting for Spring. Just to spite the weather outside, I simmed for a bit this morning and set the OAT at 20 degrees C!! :-)

This link is the quick answer to your question for Microsoft FSX...... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925724 ......but it's kind of like 'how much does an airplane cost?' To acheive what they're doing in that video takes a pretty specialized gaming PC which is not cheap.

The beauty of it is, you can start out slow, and work your way into simming. You might even have something sitting around that would work to start with....a PC and a joy stick will do it. If your hardware won't run FSX or Prepar3D, see if you can find a copy of FS2004...even lower requirements. Each time you drop back, you will loose some capability, and image definition, but it's still 'flying'. Beats looking out the window!

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to help... just PM me. Stay warm... -13 predicted here tomorrow night!

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I'll check it out, I have a IMac and it will run a lot of Microsoft apps along with the Apple software. I had a very early version of the old FlightSim running on a out-of-date Gateway back around 2004 and that was really S-L-O-W regarding control inputs!

Joe

Looking at similar temps here in Sidney!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Thanks Jim,

I'll check it out, I have a IMac and it will run a lot of Microsoft apps along with the Apple software. I had a very early version of the old FlightSim running on a out-of-date Gateway back around 2004 and that was really S-L-O-W regarding control inputs!

Joe
    You might want to take a look at XPlane...it runs natively on Wndows, Apple, or Linux. Haven't looked at it yet myself.

Jim

I checked out XPlane and learned a bit about the different methods used in calculating airfoil performance. XPlane has a wide variety of aircraft in their simulation database as well as some design tools if you want to try your hand at designing an airplane or anything else that you think might fly! In the process of surfing various Google sights I tripped over a really neat mobile app called "Xavion" which has some really neat synthetic vision features. I have been flying with a "mini" IPad using Wings X Pro 7 for the past year. I'm going to investigate what they offer in the line of upgrades and weigh the cost against the $100 "Xavion" investment. I think I could get started in the Sim world with XPlane since my IMac is compatible for a very reasonable price, their Global 10 software is way more then I need. Lots of nice links from XPlane's google search to videos and blogs. This is yet another aviation related hobby that interests me and I'm sure lots of guys way younger then I.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverJ3Cub View Post
    I've been very impressed with the graphics in aerofly FS. If you set them to "high" it even renders things like reflections on the fabric Pitts wings, rib stitching, and metal texture.

Unfortunately it's so graphics intensive that it has to run in "medium," which even then still runs the machine hot.
    During AV2012 I was trying to find the Microsoft Flight booth and found Aerofly FS instead. I gotta say it looked really good and was pretty addicting! If I ever get a computer beefy enough I will have to get it.